Stitching algorithm in newer version 1.4.4 is worse than previous version! RRS feed

• Question

• I have included a panorama made with the previous version of ICE (scaled down to a width of 1024px, the original is 82944px by 17818px).

Recalculating it with version 1.4.4 I only get stuff like in the second image. No matter which camera motion etc. I use, the image is unusable.

The tiles consist of 195 images in portrait orientation, which seem to look good in the setup dialog of “New structured panorama”.

@ MSFT: They are 1.95 GB, so uploading them is not an option. If you need to test with my pictures, I am however willing to send them on a DVD via “snail mail” if you give me an address. You can contact me through bxxxxx.rxxxx@live.at (replace the x characters according to my screen name).

Warm regards,

Branko

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:19 PM

All replies

• Here is the setup dialog for the structured panorama
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Basically ICE seems to stitch fine, just the orientation needs to be adjusted. It is really obvious that you align your image in the setup in a way ICE can just do a weird output, because you stitch a panorama vertically (you have taken the shots with the camera turned to it's right side), but you want to have the result stitched "turned back" horizontal so it is supposed to look as you would see it real life, but ICE can't know that. This causes some problems with what to be put where.

Simply switch to  "Adjust the panorama's projection and orientation" and pull the panorama with the cursor movement either up or down until you have the horizontal alignment.
    • Edited by rj_design Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:29 PM
  • @ rj_design

Sorry, rj_design, but the orientation is not the problem.
    ICE did stitch the panorama well in the previously published version, but it no longer does so in version 1.4.4!
    The upper image in my initial post is from the earlier version. It did a cylindrical projection with planar motion1, which is good.

The lower image is from version 1.4.4, and in this case it did a spherical projection from the same set of photos. I can “force” it into planar motion1, but the result looks like this:

I have tried all possible combinations of
    1. “Angular range”: Less than 360°, 360° horizontally and 360° vertically
    2. “Overlap”: Auto or the values from reality
    3. “Camera Motion”: Planar Motion 1, Planar Motion 2, Planar Motion 3, Rotating Motion and Automatic.

None of these 30 combinations yielded a solution that looked like the result from the earlier version of ICE.

Thanks for looking into this matter!

Branko

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:19 PM
  • For 360s the only thing that makes sense is rotating motion.  The geomtery of a plane doesn't let it wrap around 360.  For this particular scene "horizontal cylinder" is the right choice for projection.

It's hard for me to believe that the above came from structured panorama mode.  The "search radius" setting would prevent images from moving that far.  I'd suggest going back to the structured pano mode, and carefully setting 360 button and manually specifying the 3 overlap values.  Use "preview overlap" to ensure that things look close.  I would also rotate the images before starting.  I find it much more difficult to work with this dialog when the images are rotated as you've shown above.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:41 PM