images disappear when reediting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Here is my problem. I save as local draft a post and close WLW. When I open it again to edit or upload the entry all the images are missing. This issue did not happened with the previous version of the software. Is there a way to solve it?

Thanks,
    Daniel Rivas.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:19 PM

All replies

• Sorry,I forgot to add some detalis:
    - I use blogger.
    - When I say "missing" I mean that the image places appear blank and with the red X on the upper left corner.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:21 PM
  • What culture  / version is your operating system?

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:19 PM
  • XP Home Edition Version 2002 ServicePack 3. The culture is SPANISH SPAIN, I think.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:22 PM
  • This is because there is a character in your temp path that needs to be html escaped, but it isn't being escaped when you load a post(this is a bug). 

As a work around, you should be able to change your %TEMP% path to a filesystem path that does not contain the special character.  I think the special character that needs to be removed in the case of a spanish OS is ò.

For more instructions on how to change the path, look at:

1. Create a folder at the root of the local drive and name it TEMP. (Like C:\TEMP) 
    2. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    3. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    4. Click Environment Variables.
    5. Repeat the following steps for both the TEMP and the TMP User variables:
    6. In the User variables list, select the TEMP variable, and then click Edit.
    7. In the Variable value box, type %drive%\TEMP, and then click OK.

Note %drive% is the local drive where you created the folder in step 1.
    8. Repeat steps a and b for the TMP variable, if it exists.
    9. Repeat the following steps for both the TEMP and the TMP System variables:
    10. In the System variables list, select the TEMP variable, and then click Edit.
    11. In the Variable value box, type %drive%\TEMP, and then click OK.

Note %drive% is the local drive where you created the folder in step 1.
    12. Repeat steps a and b for the TMP variable, if it exists.
    13. Click OK two times to close the System Properties dialog box.
    14. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
    15. Restart your computer

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Thanks Brandon, that worked just fine :) You're my star!! XD
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:01 PM
  • Hi, I faced this same issue in my Windows XP Professional SP2 Spanish system some weeks ago. I reproduced it with version 14.0.8050.1202 and the brand-new 14.0.8064.206 release (both in Spanish language also). I didn't try the technical previews before the Wave 3 release.

A "file or path not found" problem made sense in this context, so I used Process Monitor to track it down. Suppose that the temporary folder path in Windows is C:\Documents and Settings\usuario\Configuración local\Temp, where Configuración local means Local Settings. Then, I opened Process Monitor and put filters on "process name contains WindowsLiveWriter" and "path contains Temp". I expected the usual accesses to the path C:\Documents and Settings\usuario\Configuración local\Temp\WindowsLiveWriterXXXX\supfilesXXXX, but I didn't expect "path not found" entries referring to the path C:\Documents and Settings\usuario\Configuración local\Temp\WindowsLiveWriterXXXX\supfilesXXXX, which obviously didn't exist. Incidentally, the letter ó appeared encoded in its UTF-8 form (ó); i.e., the path was somehow converted to UTF-8 and then handed incorrectly in that form to the file I/O APIs.

Apart from redefining TEMP and TMP variables (Writer might be using System.IO.Path.GetTempPath to obtain the temporary folder path, which apparently relies on GetTempPath), I thought about a workaround that involved NTFS junctions (a kind of directory soft links supported in Windows 2000 and later). Therefore, a junction named like Configuración local can be created with the Junction tool from Sysinternals to target Configuración local. For example: junction "C:\Documents and Settings\usuario\Configuración local" "C:\Documents and Settings\usuario\Configuración local" (to remove the junction, use parameter -d)

However, junctions have a mayor drawback in Windows versions before Vista: you can't tell them apart from ordinary folders in Windows Explorer. The same applies to some third-party file managers, even in Vista. If you try to remove a junction as if you were deleting a folder, you will delete its target contents instead!

I have been using Windows Live Writer since summer of 2006 and it really changed the way I contribute content to blogs. The Windows Live team has done a great job.

Cheers!

Ramón Sola
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:52 AM