Change the default Remote or Home page RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've trawled through both this forum and Google trying to find a way of changing the default page that is loaded when access via the web.
    What I was trying to do was have WHS load a web page that I have created, and on that page I would have a link to the remote logon page.
    For Example: https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.html
    instead of:https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true or /remote/logon.aspx?

This way I can have easy access for friends and family but have a link via a user/pass to all my files.

Is this possable?
    Thanks
    Squirt69
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Brubber, Thanks for your reply I managed to nut it out... just 3 hours of pullin' my hair out, but it's all good.
    What I had may be unorthodox & may even be the long way around but it worked.

First I installed Whiist and created the internal pages I wanted.

I opened the dafault.aspx page and saved it as default1.apsx, this way I can direct a URL at it if I still want to access the original page.

Then I imported the home/default.aspx file into namo web editor and dismantled it to suit the main page that I wanted (including the links to my photo album, link page & server logon page), then saved it as as a html.

Next I redirected the dafault.aspx via IIS manager (which I have never had anythind to do with before).

And with a couple of little tweaks to my new main page it all worked.

Once again thanks for your reply

Squirt

• Marked as answer by Squirt69 Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:05 AM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:05 AM

All replies

• You can do that using IIS manager. Logon to your home server desktop (remote desktop) then control panel, administrative tools. I would advise you though NOT to replace the default pages. If you make any errors there you will possibly need to reinstall WHS to get everything back to normal.

Your friends and family can simply get to your WHS using http://yourpage.homeserver.com if you setup remote access properly. You can then use an Add-in such as Whiist to create direct links to your custom pages.

Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:04 AM
  • Hi Brubber, Thanks for your reply I managed to nut it out... just 3 hours of pullin' my hair out, but it's all good.
    What I had may be unorthodox & may even be the long way around but it worked.

First I installed Whiist and created the internal pages I wanted.

I opened the dafault.aspx page and saved it as default1.apsx, this way I can direct a URL at it if I still want to access the original page.

Then I imported the home/default.aspx file into namo web editor and dismantled it to suit the main page that I wanted (including the links to my photo album, link page & server logon page), then saved it as as a html.

Next I redirected the dafault.aspx via IIS manager (which I have never had anythind to do with before).

And with a couple of little tweaks to my new main page it all worked.

Once again thanks for your reply

Squirt

• Marked as answer by Squirt69 Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:05 AM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:05 AM
  • Please be aware that Microsoft's Windows Home Server developer guidelines state that you should not change the behavior of the WHS web site, or modify the virtual directories that are created when WHS is installed. They don't say why, but I believe it's because other WHS components rely on those settings remaining as they are. So changing the remote access web site to display a different start page is not recommended; instead you should add a link to the start page (using whiist or the WHS SDK to guide you) for your content.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:12 PM
  • I strongly recomment you take a look at the plugin Whiist.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:56 AM