Restored My Database from a USB drive but shares are empty RRS feed

• Question

• I am at a loss.  I restored my database using the Backup and restore doc from Microsoft, but for some reason the share folders are empty.  The PC backups are there but no files in the shares.  The database folder is there and is about 800 gigs so I know the files are there but for some reason WHS is not translating them to the shares.

I did change the server name on the new PC.  The old name was Media and the new name is Media1.

Any ideas?

Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:21 PM

All replies

• The backup database contains only the client computer backups, not the shares. There is (separate) functionality built in to the product which allows you to back up your shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Can I delete all of these "Data.4096.59.dat" type files in the D:\folders\{...-A7F909A47AB4 folder then?  This folder is almost 700 gigs and I don't want to copy the files from the share back to the shares folder if it's going to double the space used on my WHS.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:52 PM
  • You can, but you will lose any archived backups of home computers you may have. And you will still not recover the contents of your shares (which I'm guessing you didn't back up, so you'll have to recreate them if you can).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Actually I did back up the shares on a 2nd USB drive.  Once I did this I realized that the back ups of the computers were not included so I took another USB device and copied my DB files to it.  So the files with the naming convention of "computername.somthing.somthing.dat" needs the files named "Data.4096.59.dat" even though they don't have the computer name in the file name?  I don't want to delete the files with computer names in them I just want to delete the generic files named stuff like "Data.4096.59.dat" if they contain the files from the shares that I cannot get access to.

I know I can just copy the files back to the shares but I don't want to do that if I am going to almost double the size of my DB files.  It just seems like I will have duplicates if I do it this way.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:27 PM