Configuration of new PC to OneCare circle failed RRS feed

• Question

• I had a problem with one of the PC's on my circle and had to uninstall OneCare on that PC. I omitted to remove the PC fro the circle prior to doing so. I then reinstalled and everything came up fine except that I had two references to that PC's on the circle. I removed the original and got the green light all round. Then a short time later got the yellow light telling me to configure the new PC to the circle. I hit the "configure backup" tab and was told it had failed and to try again later. I have tried several times since over a six hour period and keep getting the same message. The other two PC's both have green lights. 

I have shut down both PC's and nothing changes. Both pc's have Vista home premium as O/S

Can anybody out there help me as I have tried a number of times to contact Tech Support but can never get through 
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 7:37 AM

Answers

• Steve, thank you for your advice.

I am using a centralized Backup and it was while trying to configure backup from the hub PC that the problem occured. The message appeared immediately upon clicking the configure tab and yes I had restarted both PC's a number of times.

Since posting this query I continued trying various ways of resolving the problem and praise the PC Fairy one of them has solved the problem (so far at least). I think it may have been when I tried changing the settings on the new PC for about the third time that I got the green light

Anyhow the problem appears to be solved and I thank you for your advice and assistance.

Jim Gibson (pompah)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:30 PM

All replies

• Are you using Centralized Backup or does each PC have its own backup plan?
    If it is the former, have you tried configuring backup for the new PC from the Hub?
    If it is the latter, is the new PC running with administrative rights? Do you get the failure immediately upon clicking configure backup?
    Have you tried rebooting the PC with the problem and trying again?
    What happens if you click Change Settings and then click the backup tab and then the configure backup button?
    What OS is on this PC? If it is Vista, is UAC on or off?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Steve, thank you for your advice.

I am using a centralized Backup and it was while trying to configure backup from the hub PC that the problem occured. The message appeared immediately upon clicking the configure tab and yes I had restarted both PC's a number of times.

Since posting this query I continued trying various ways of resolving the problem and praise the PC Fairy one of them has solved the problem (so far at least). I think it may have been when I tried changing the settings on the new PC for about the third time that I got the green light

Anyhow the problem appears to be solved and I thank you for your advice and assistance.

Jim Gibson (pompah)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:30 PM
  • I'm glad to read that it finally worked after poking at it. It sounds like the problem may have been an inability to get to the OneCare server to validate your subscription credentials to change the backup plan for the Circle.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:38 AM