Cannot configure client backup RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have two XPSP3 client machines attached to my WHS2011. After I went through the pain of getting the CONNECTor installs to work on both machines, one machine connects, configures, and backs up fine. The other machine connects, shows "online", I can run dashboard and do all the functions EXCEPT CONFIGURE THE BACKUP for one machine. When I do the DASHBOARD -> LOGIN -> "Computers and Backup" one machine status shows "backup status" as successful, the other shows "dualcore" "Online", "Video Server", "Not set up", "No alerts". Attempting to setup I select the computer, click "Set up Backup for this compuer", click "Backup all my files and folders", and the  "confirm items to backup", "items to backup" box is ALWAYS empty, with no way to add an item to the box. I have deleted the computer and unistalled the connector software three times with the same results. I have not setup any of the other three clients yet because of this (and the workgroup naming issue).

The network architecture is two clients connected to the same 10/100 switch in the office, up to the Verizon router, and down to the WHS2011 server in another room. I can remotely connect, I can do all the server functions from both client computers, just not get backup for one to work. 

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:07 PM

All replies

• So I reinstalled WHS2011 due to the workgroup name change issue AND removed/reinstalled the clients on my first two machines. I still have the same issue, the one that worked before still works, and the one that didn't work befor still doesn't. Might this be a registry issue on the client machine? Where would that key be found?
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:16 AM
  • On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 01:16:37 +0000, JoCrazy0 wrote:

So I reinstalled WHS2011 due to the workgroup name change issue AND removed/reinstalled the clients on my first two machines. I still have the same issue, the one that worked before still works, and the one that didn't work befor still doesn't. Might this be a registry issue on the client machine? Where would that key be found?

Does the problematic computer have NTFS or FAT/FAT32 formatted drives? If
    the latter, you're going to have to convert the drive(s) to NTFS. Type
    convert /? at a command prompt for the correct syntax.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    BPI: A 1960s term used to describe unmentionable parts of the anatomy, as
    in "you bet your bpi".

Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:48 AM
  • They (both drives on that machine) are NTFS drives. I overcame my frustration with NTFS drives after I finally removed my last WINDOWS 98 machine a few years back. No longer do any DOS extensions to read NTFS stuff now that Win98 is gone... but I digress.

Another thing I just emebered on this one, is this is the same machine that would NOT connect and do backup after I reinstalled the connector software for HS2003. I never did clear up that mess! The initial install of the CONNECT software on this machine ran into the "another install or file rename pending" issue, which I finally cleared up. I can (locally, connect TO that machine through WHS2011) I just cannot get backup to work. (And yes the Windows Server Backup Client is started on that machine also.) I also disabled the Sygate software firewall briefly to confirm that was not it. So, I have left it as is for now. I may just give up and face the endless pain of converting my wife's machine to WIN7 (not from the wipe and install and find compatible apps.... from the endless retraining of my wife :^( 

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:20 AM