none
Connector software unable to connect to server RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, for the past couple of weeks my windows home server and was able to connect to it ok this morning, anyway I took my pc apart today to sort the cableing out, and reconnected everything, now i am not able to connect to it through the WHS connector software, it keeps saying the Password is incorrect and check it. The password isnt wrong as my other pc can connect to it fine. Since I had a few problems, with software after I connected everything back together, so I formated the hdd and re-installed windows 7 thinking this will fix the problem, but it hasnt, I tried formating it again, thinking it was a windows 7 problem, but nothing is working.
    HMG
    Monday, April 13, 2009 8:21 PM

Answers

• Well I definatly know that it wasnt the server, because for some reason my PC connects to the server ok now,  thank you for you help.
    HMG
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    could you post the output of the command
    ipconfig /all
    on both the client and the server?
    Can the client ping the server by name and by IP address?
    How are the client and the server connected?
    Wired or wireless? If wired, both to the same router/switch, or are there other network devices involved?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, April 13, 2009 8:28 PM
  • all three computers are connected to the same router and are wired, the only thing that is wirelessly connected to the server is the xbox 360. I know password and connection to the server are possible and working as I can remote desktop it. When clicking on start>Network>Server I can access the shared folders just not the ones I created and I cannot use the connector software. while my other PC still has no problem connecting to it. I am fairly certain it is not the network adapter on my PC as I can still use it to connecter to the internet, so its something to do with my connection from my computer to the server. There is no conflicts in the connections to the server.
    HMG
    Monday, April 13, 2009 10:50 PM
  • While this should hae to do nothing with the cabling, does your server have a NVidia graphics card and NVidia drivers installed for that adapter? This may cause RDP connections to fail, and the console is RDP based.

I will also ask the basic question: You are using for sure the console password and not a user password (and that there is no typo in the password due to CAPS lock on or a changed keyboard setting)?

Can you check the event log of the server in the time frame of the connection attempt for errors and warnings (including the security log)?

Please upgrade also the firmware of the router and try to connect, while the router is not connected to the Internet.

Olaf
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Yes my server has nvidia graphics and Lan adapter. but this shouldnt be causing problems, as I said my other PC Can connect to the Server ok it is just mine, today I have installed vista, and can connect using Windows Connector software, and can connect by RDC,I can also click Start, network and Server, but when I click on the folders I created I get a message saying:-

Whindows cannot access \\SERVER\(folder name

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click diagnose.

Error code 0x80070005
    Access is Denied.

Like I said I kow there is nothing wrong with the password or any connection to the server, as I have 2 Pcs connected to the server, as since the work I did on mine yesterday, it will not allow me to connect mine to my own created folders.

I couldnt find anything in the levent log.
    HMG
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Accessing the shares and accessing the server via Remote Desktop are two different things - the first is using the user accounts name and password, the later the Administrator password (console password).
    Access Denied means just that - your account is not allowed to access the shared folder.
    Does a user with identical user name and password as the logged in user on the client exist on the server, and does that user account have access permissions on the shares?
    Is there any password stored? If yes, run control keymgr.dll on the clients Start/Run dialog and remove the entry pointing to the server.
    Is the guest account enabled on the server? Disable it.
    After each of the changes you should at least logoff on the client to avoid the usage of any cached credential tokens.
    Can you access the default shares of the server (i.e. Software)?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Right I found that if I have Windows 7 installed on my PC now, I cannot access the server or install the WHS connector software, I can use the software however under vista, but this is not what I want.  There are no identical names or passwords on the server.

I have tried running as my account and the administrator from my computer neither one works.
    The Guest account is disabled.

I can access the default shares, but not the shares I have created.

There are no passwords stored from what the keymgr.dll showed.

I just find it odd, that my PC wont connect but my other one will.

When I do a re-install, and go to start, then network and click on Server it used to ask me for a username and password for the server this time it doesnt, and I think that may be part of the problem.

I've tried installing on different HDD, now I am able to get the username and password box to come up when I go to start, network and Server. But when I type in username and password it doesnt connect it tells me that the username or password is bad.
    HMG
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Some more questions:
    Do you have a corresponding user account on the server (same name and password as on the client and not blank password)?
    Did you alter the settings for digital signing on the client or the server, which may cause mismatching communication streams?
    Did you verify the computer with a known good network port and cable? (Bad cables or connections may also falsificate the traffic causing connection issues.)
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Well I definatly know that it wasnt the server, because for some reason my PC connects to the server ok now,  thank you for you help.
    HMG
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:05 AM