AT&T Wireless: Sees WHS is a security problem. RRS feed

• General discussion

• There is a problem connecting AT&T wireless devices to WHS.   I set up WHS for one of my customers to allow him remote access to his home computers.  So that he could make connection remotely from his laptop he purchased a Sierra Wireless card from the local AT&T store.   After working for several hours trying to connect the laptop and several of my own AT&T mobile devices I discovered that none of these devices could connect to his WHS.   I finally called AT&T and was able to reach their Level 3 technical support and explained the problem.   The technician on the line then politely told me that AT&T is intentionaly blocking the homeserver domain on there DNS servers because they feel WHS  it is a security problem,  and that I should advise my customer to return his AT&T Wireless card to the store.  

Please note:  In the process of troubleshooting this problem I had no trouble with either Sprint or  TMoble devices. 

Also note: As this was a DNS problem I was able to work around the problem by making an entry in the laptops host file.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:11 AM

All replies

• That's scary that an internet service provider feels that it can make that decision for its customers.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:30 AM
  • wow, that's interesting news.... Shame on AT&T for playing big brother here..

Best not to set a host file since most likely the IP is Dynamic and will eventally change, causing you to get a support call and do extra work

You can use any other DDNS service on the WHS box, it's not limited to the MS HomeServer.com domain.  Just DISABLE the Domain part in the WHS, then using Remote Desktop, login to the WHS box as admin and download a DDNS client that runs on Windows as a service (example: http://www.tzo.com has TZO Lite that will work).  This should solve the issue and there are no problems running other DDNS on the WHS  box itself, I am using the TZO Photosharing to share photos on my WHS box, but on an alternate port since WHS is using 80 and 443

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Not sure if AT&T is really blocking this or not...I have an IPHONE and that uses the AT&T network and the homeserver.com domains work fine on that....

Maybe they use another network for their data cards?  Not sure....Any more info on this would be appreciated if you have it....
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:12 PM
  • I wanted to bring this back to the top. I cannot access my home server with my iphone and was wondering if those of you that have had success could post your hardware setup.
    Thanks, Mike
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:18 AM
  •  

Hi,  Well I guess AT&T got things figured out.  After reading the last 2 posts I checked with my Tilt and connected to my customers home server.

In answer to Mikes question. First of all, this is not a hardware problem, but I'll help were I can.

I usually use Gigabyte mother boards preferably MATX.

1 or 2 gigs of ram

two or three large hard drives 250 gigs each works well.

Can you access your server from a desktop or laptop?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:23 AM
  • I can accesss the server fine from a desktop or laptop. I can even access from my iphone when im connected to my own router. When I leave the home network the iphone cannot find the home server. the whole point of this is to access a web based home automation program. When asking about hardware I was more thinking that this might have to do with the router/cable modem.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:01 AM
  • This is slightly on topic, but I can access my WHS using my Sprint Mogul PPC6800 Pocket PC. But using IE it is very difficult to browes the server files. The only way I found that I could easily browse my WHS with the phone and down load files to the phone was by installing the HomeBase add-in. Without the add in, WHS could be logged into, but it's not in Mobile format, so it's difficult to view.

How are you able to browse your server with the iphone as the WHS site is not mobile friendly? Especially without the HomeBase add-in. Your input would be greatly appreciated

JM2C, but I heard that AT&T and Time Warner are phasing in a program to block home web access and bit torrent downloads. I heard that it has started out West and is moving East.  Something I've read in several places......
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:35 AM
  • Hi Mike, and thanks, I understand what your asking now.   If your getting through using a remote computer then I dont think this could be a problem with the router or cable modem.  I have no experiance with IPhones however the post from judgeschambers addresses problems with the IPhone and WHS.   My customers are using remote PC or Windows Mobile enabled cell phones.  I hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:22 PM