virus scan hangs up at 90% RRS feed

• Question

• When my weekly tune up runs the virus scan doesn't finish. It is hanging at 90%. I tried doing a manual scan - same thing. Whar do I do now?

Monday, February 4, 2008 10:09 PM

Answers

• Interesting. That is the same file that mine was hanging at.

For the rest of this post, the italics will be my comments, the rest will be copied from MS Support email.

Bruce Wang at Microsoft Support sent these instructions

Add exclusions in Windows Live OneCare

===================================

1. Double click the Windows Live OneCare icon on the Task Bar to open Windows Live OneCare.

2. On the Windows Live OneCare screen, click "Change OneCare Settings" on the left hand side.

3. On the Windows Live OneCare Settings dialog box, click "Viruses and Spyware", and then click "Exclusions..."

4. Click "Add Folder...". Then navigate to the folder you wish to exclude from the antivirus scan, highlight it and click Open.

5. Click OK. This folder will not be scanned by the real-time scanner or when a manual antivirus scan is performed with Windows Live OneCare.

Then I ran another complete scan, and it hung at another folder, still at 90%.

OneCare Clean Boot

================

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This should not affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the open box then click OK to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Re-enable the checkboxes for "OneCare Firewall" and "OneCare AntiSpyware and Antivirus" service.

4. Click the "Startup" tab and take note of the items that are checked and the items that are unchecked, as we will want to return your computer to this configuration when we finish troubleshooting. Once the checked items have been noted, click Disable all. After that, find and re-check the checkbox in front of "winssnotify.exe".

5. Click OK.

Then, restart your computer.

I ran another complete scan and it finished successfully!  So I emailed him and let him know. He indicated that he would reply with help to narrow down the cause of the problem. He finished the email with instructions on how to return the startup to its previous form, but I don't know if I will.

Seems like things are running smoothly - there had been a bunch of junk starting up and slowing dowb tge computer.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 10:49 PM

All replies

• Typically, when the scan hangs at 90% that means it has found some items and is taking action on them.

How long have you let it sit when it hits the 90% mark and "hangs?"

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:31 AM
  • I have let it sit there for several hours. This problem did not exist until Feb 2

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:17 PM
  • Several hours is more than enough. I suggest contacting support if it happens again - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:09 AM
  • Thanks. I have contacted support and am working on a fix.

Friday, February 8, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Please let us know how it turns out.

-steve

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:04 AM
  • I am also interested in this answer, I just bought live onecare and the virus scan hung all night at 84% on internet explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE

Saturday, February 9, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Interesting. That is the same file that mine was hanging at.

For the rest of this post, the italics will be my comments, the rest will be copied from MS Support email.

Bruce Wang at Microsoft Support sent these instructions

Add exclusions in Windows Live OneCare

===================================

1. Double click the Windows Live OneCare icon on the Task Bar to open Windows Live OneCare.

2. On the Windows Live OneCare screen, click "Change OneCare Settings" on the left hand side.

3. On the Windows Live OneCare Settings dialog box, click "Viruses and Spyware", and then click "Exclusions..."

4. Click "Add Folder...". Then navigate to the folder you wish to exclude from the antivirus scan, highlight it and click Open.

5. Click OK. This folder will not be scanned by the real-time scanner or when a manual antivirus scan is performed with Windows Live OneCare.

Then I ran another complete scan, and it hung at another folder, still at 90%.

OneCare Clean Boot

================

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This should not affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the open box then click OK to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Re-enable the checkboxes for "OneCare Firewall" and "OneCare AntiSpyware and Antivirus" service.

4. Click the "Startup" tab and take note of the items that are checked and the items that are unchecked, as we will want to return your computer to this configuration when we finish troubleshooting. Once the checked items have been noted, click Disable all. After that, find and re-check the checkbox in front of "winssnotify.exe".

5. Click OK.

Then, restart your computer.

I ran another complete scan and it finished successfully!  So I emailed him and let him know. He indicated that he would reply with help to narrow down the cause of the problem. He finished the email with instructions on how to return the startup to its previous form, but I don't know if I will.

Seems like things are running smoothly - there had been a bunch of junk starting up and slowing dowb tge computer.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 10:49 PM
  • I'm glad that support was able to get it sorted for you. It would appear that you may have had a conflict since you were able to complete it successfully with a clean boot.

-steve

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:56 AM
  • I have the 90% hang but it hangs without showing which file or folder it has hung on, I have also checked for any NPROTECT folders in the recycle bin but found none dispite setting "view" to system and hidden. I have just uninstalled Norton 2008 using the removal tool.   Any ideas?

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  Disco Duck wrote:
    I have the 90% hang but it hangs without showing which file or folder it has hung on, I have also checked for any NPROTECT folders in the recycle bin but found none dispite setting "view" to system and hidden. I have just uninstalled Norton 2008 using the removal tool.   Any ideas?

Did you try to do the scan with a clean boot per the above post?

The 90% hang usually means that OneCare has found malware and is trying to deal with it. You won't see what it found until the very end of the Tune-up or scan. If OneCare is truly stuck on the 90% point, it either means there is still something conflicting or that whatever it found is tough to deal with or it can't deal with it.

You should try the clean boot scan first, and then contact Support if the problem still persists.

s-teve

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:29 PM