Installing normal OneCare after SBS OneCare trial? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a valid, regular, OneCare subscription that was covering my home PCs. It shows as active under http://billing.microsoft.com, with my ID. I also received the email informing me that me subscription would be automatically extended by 6 months for free.

I installed SBS 2008 a few months ago with the SBS OneCare trial, but removed SBS OneCare from the server and stations - no sense in buying an antivirus solution that will disappear in a few months.

Unfortunately, after reinstaling the regular, trial,  version of OneCare, I can not activate it on my home PCs anymore as I get redirected to a page offering me to buy the server edition....

Any ideas on how I can get my PCs to activate using the regular OneCare licence?

Best regards,

Stephen

Edits added in bold for clarity
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• HI!

Try uninstalling the SBS onecare, then try to re-install the Windows live onecare free trial (go to onecare.live.com--free trial button -- install the free trial of windows live one care link).  After installing the free trial, associate it with your subscription by signing in with the live id that you have used when you subscribed to Windows live onecare.

Hope this works for you too.

------
    bayabasgirl29
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:45 PM
  • If your PC is joined to the SBS domain, any OneCare install/activation will direct you to the server license activation and you can't activate using the retail subscription.

See this post for instructions on how to workaround this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/a5f477d5-e70d-4337-9951-c72a27f69a55/

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Hi Steve,

The steps you described worked well. To be complete, here is a slightly more complete answer:

1. Uninstall OneCare Live and reboot;

2. Using regedit, rename this registry key to something else:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\smallbusinessserver 
    3. Install the trial version of OneCare Live and activate it;

4. Rename the registry key from step 2 back to the original name.

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,

Stephen
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:37 PM