Restore CD crashes laptop! (USB CD/DVD to Blame?) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I reinstalled Windows on my laptop and I'm unhappy with the installation so I wanted to go back to a "Last Known Good" state from aWHS backup. Whenever I try to boot from the restore CD however I get a blue screen crash!

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x84803BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Help!

-James

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:38 PM

Answers

• The blue screen you're experiencing normally indicates that a driver for an essential piece of hardware isn't present. It can also indicate problems with a hardware component, often the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive. You don't say what kind of laptop you're using, so I can't really guess if those a likely scenarios.

However, as a practical matter, you may want to remove the drive from the laptop, get something like this (available at Fry's, Microcenter, NewEgg, and many other retailers) so you can connect it to another PC in your home, and run the restore on that PC instead. You can run the program C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe on your home computer to restore the drive, rather than the Restore CD.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:36 PM

All replies

• The blue screen you're experiencing normally indicates that a driver for an essential piece of hardware isn't present. It can also indicate problems with a hardware component, often the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive. You don't say what kind of laptop you're using, so I can't really guess if those a likely scenarios.

However, as a practical matter, you may want to remove the drive from the laptop, get something like this (available at Fry's, Microcenter, NewEgg, and many other retailers) so you can connect it to another PC in your home, and run the restore on that PC instead. You can run the program C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe on your home computer to restore the drive, rather than the Restore CD.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:36 PM
  •  

Hi, sorry. I'm using an EEE 901. Everything seems to be recognized by Vista et al automatically. I'm using an external LG USB DVD Drive that seems to be recognized by everything I've plugged it into (even old usb 1.0 desktops).

Could the "SSD"s be the problem?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:43 PM
  • The SSDs could be the problem, if they require a special driver. More likely though is the external USB DVD drive, even though it seems to work with a wide range of hardware. Is it bootable?

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the EEE PC drives, but as I said, you might find restoring your laptop easier if you simply removed the drives and restored them while connected to another computer.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:17 PM
  • The drive is bootable. It's how I installed Windows to begin with. Also the SSDs use the intel storage controller drivers. They are not "easy" to remove and I believe they use some kind of propietary (PCIe?) connection.

The only thing I can see as a problem is that they are connected to the Secondary IDE channel. The primary IDE channel is empty.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Hmm. I know a couple of other people with EEE PCs have had similar issues (search the forums). I don't think they came up with any solution. I'm pretty sure that the Atom processor and accompanying chipset don't help matters, too. I wish I had something to tell you...

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:43 AM
  • I got the same blue screen message when I tried to restore my Loveno/IBM ThinkPad X-41.  I was trying to restore from the USB CD/DVD drive.  Unfortunately it is the USB drive or nothing as this is a complete recovery.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  

Has anyone tried making a bootable usb key restore cd?

Thursday, August 28, 2008 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

If the disk is corrupted, it's possible that Windows will not install, with the error message above, being the result. Also, from the Client backup on the server, have you extracted the drivers required?

Note that because Vista installs just fine, it doesn't follow that the Restore will. (Vista comes with far more drivers etc., than the restore CD).

The drivers I mentioned, are available from any Client, by opening the appropriate backup and copying the files from the 'Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore' to a USB stick.

Colin

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:36 PM