• Question

• Brand new components for a WHS build:

Mobo: Gigabyte H170M-DS3H

CPU: i3-6100 3.7Ghz

Ram: G.Skill 4x4Gb DDR4 2400

HD: WD Green 1 TB

PWR: Antec 550W Green

Optical Drive: BlueRay DVD LG

It boots just fine, all components are working.  It loads the WHS Install CD and prepares all the windows files and the 20Gb Drive partition for the NTFS files.  Everytime it gets to the point of "rebooting the OS", it reloads with a message "Windows Setup" in upper left corner.

Then on bottom it says "Setup is loading files" they load

then "Setup is Starting Windows"

Then BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. 

If this is the first time...

Check for viruses...

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B ...

I have done the following, each with a fresh reboot and re-install of the original WHS DVD.

-Removed the HD and CHKDSK and SCNDSK.

-Reformatted the HD

-Reclaimed the partition and reformatted the HD

-Scan for Viruses (for all brand new out of the box components and WHS DVD? ok whatever I did it.) It scans after BSOD with 6245 files all clean.  It Scans after formatting with 4 files all clean.

-Clear CMOS and start all over again from the top

The only thing I have not done yet is Flash the BIOS and frankly I dont think I should need to do that.

I am not a pro.  Just a consumer who would like for their WHS to install properly from a fresh build.  I can not think of anything else I am missing?  All my drivers are updated for everything that I can think of.

Is there any other information needed to help me resolve this issue that I can provide the community?

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• I assume that you refer to the original WHS and not to WHS 2011.

If so, the physical memory limit is 4 GB. Can you try with just one memory stick installed?

Luc.

Edit: WHS also doesn't know about SATA drives. You will have to slipstream the drivers onto the installation DVD or change the hard disk to IDE mode in the BIOS. 

Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:40 PM
  • I honestly did not know there was a maximum memory requirement for WHS.

I pulled all but the one RAM and it still gives the same BSOD and message.

Thank you for mentioning the WHS/SATA drive issue.  I can not change the hard disk mode to IDE because my Gigabyte Mobo only offers ACHI and RAID in the BIOS.

When you say "slipstream" I am unsure what that means.  My WD Green Caviar 1TB HD has gone through the partitioning and preinstallation of all the Windows software needed for installation.  

-Do I just alter a file or add the Drivers to a file in there? Or do I need to burn a copy of my WHS installation DVD with some Drivers added into it?

-What drivers exactly?  From Western Digital?  From Gigabyte?  From Microsoft?

Thank you in advance, I truly value everyones feedback on this.

Kind regards.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Here is a tutorial on how to slipstream drivers for WHS:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20476af1-c25a-475a-a468-f024df23fed2/tutorial-slipstreaming-drivers-into-whs?forum=whssoftware

You will need the SATA drivers from your motherboard manufacturer.

Good Luck!

Luc.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 5:59 PM