none
Why are special characters (e.g. apostrophes) misinterpreted? RRS feed

• Question

• Ref.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/3896546c-8e32-4b78-84ab-ad3d9e3c81a8#2a62a886-ac72-4361-b2a2-07eb69cc9ecd

<quote>
    Hmm...  this time I�??m betting against  WLMail.   E.g. I just used by Drafts trick to see what I had written so far and found this (for example):   shouldn=E2=80=99t    Is that really Unicode?  Escaped Hex values?  I thought it was supposed to be the actual binary code?   Oh, I know.   That�??s Quoted Printable, so it probably is correct and it�??s probably the bridge that isn�??t converting it correctly for the forum server to get as a true Unicode string.   Maybe I�??ll have to stop using Quoted Printable to work around whatever is causing this.    Not now though, in case I make it even worse.   ; )
    </quote>

WLMail  Options Send tab:   HTML Settings:  Quoted Printable   International: Default encoding:  Unicode (UTF-8)

Bridge (V.40)  Advanced Settings:   InMimeUse  TextHTML  

Send as Rich Text (HTML)   [i.e., Plain text button showing in toolbar]

Why am I sending this to the COM Sandbox?   The problem is normally manifest on Answers.

---
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:06 AM

All replies

• <quote repaired>
    Hmm...  this time I�??m betting against  WLMail.   E.g. I just used by Drafts trick to see what I had written so far and found this (for example):   shouldn=E2=80=99t    Is that really Unicode?  Escaped Hex values?  I thought it was supposed to be the actual binary code?   Oh, I know.   That�??s Quoted Printable, so it probably is correct and it�??s probably the bridge that isn�??t converting it correctly for the forum server to get as a true Unicode string.   Maybe I�??ll have to stop using Quoted Printable to work around whatever is causing this.    Not now though, in case I make it even worse.   ; )
    </quote>

WLMail  Options Send tab:   HTML Settings:  Quoted Printable   International: Default encoding:  Unicode (UTF-8)

Why am I sending this to the COM Sandbox?   The problem is normally manifest on Answers.

Resending repaired quote to make sure COM Sandbox behaves the same way that Answers does before making any other changes.

---

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Copy of previous send.   Apostrophes intact.

<quote repaired>
      </quote>

WLMail  Options Send tab:   HTML Settings:  None   International: Default encoding:  Unicode (UTF-8)

Resending repaired quote to test above noted change in HTML Settings:  None

---
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:33 AM
  • <top post>

Proof that this was sent from  WLMail correctly with the chosen
    modification:

Content-Type: text/plain;
       charset="utf-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Copy of previous send.   Apostrophes intact.
      <quote repaired>
       Hmm...  this time I’m betting against  WLMail.

</top>

"Robert Aldwinckle on forums"  wrote in message
    news:ab5df5a9-a7ca-41f4-b620-fee166a64268@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
     Copy of previous send.   Apostrophes intact.
     <quote repaired>
     Hmm...  this time I�??m betting against  WLMail.   E.g. I just used by
    Drafts trick to see what I had written so far and found this (for example):
    shouldn=E2=80=99t    Is that really Unicode?  Escaped Hex values?  I thought
    it was supposed to be the actual binary code?   Oh, I know.   That�??s
    Quoted Printable, so it probably is correct and it�??s probably the bridge
    that isn�??t converting it correctly for the forum server to get as a true
    Unicode string.   Maybe I�??ll have to stop using Quoted Printable to work
    around whatever is causing this.    Not now though, in case I make it even
    worse.   ; )
     </quote>
      WLMail  Options Send tab:   HTML Settings:  None   International: Default
    encoding:  Unicode (UTF-8)
      Why am I sending this to the COM Sandbox?   The problem is normally
    manifest on Answers.
     Resending repaired quote to test above noted change in HTML Settings:  None
     ---

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:40 AM
  • HTML Copy of first send.  Previous copy may have only been a text copy.   E.g. I think I probably forgot to do  Alt-Shift-H  before making copy.
    <quote repaired>
    </quote>

WLMail  Options Send tab:   HTML Settings:  Base64   International: Default encoding:  Unicode (UTF-8)

Resending repaired quote to test change in HTML Settings as noted above.

---

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:46 AM
  • <top post>
    No sign that this was done but tcptrace doesn't seem to be capturing
    anything new.   The bridge trace is and I still see  Content-type Encoding:
    8bit  there.   (No sign of base64).

Maybe I have to restart  WLMail? and tcptrace?   Manana.
    </top>

WLMail  Options Send tab:   HTML Settings:  Base64   International: Default
    encoding:  Unicode (UTF-8)

Why am I sending this to the COM Sandbox?   The problem is normally manifest
    on Answers.
     Resending repaired quote to test change in HTML Settings as noted above.
     ---

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:59 AM
  • <top post>
    No sign that this was done but tcptrace doesn't seem to be capturing
    anything new.   The bridge trace is and I still see  Content-type Encoding:
    8bit  there.   (No sign of base64).

Maybe I have to restart  WLMail? and tcptrace?   Manana.
    </top>

WTH?   It worked!   (Note apostrophe above.)   Some new quirk?   Or did my last change actually do something (besides request base64 and not get it)?

BTW  tcptrace  has caught up.   Still no sign of base64.  I'll try restarting  WLMail.   Manana.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:05 AM
  • PEhUTUw+PEhFQUQ+PC9IRUFEPg0KPEJPRFk+DQo8RElWIGRpcj1sdHI+DQo8RElWIHN0eWxlPSJG T05ULUZBTUlMWTogJ0FyaWFsJzsgQ09MT1I6ICMwMDAwMDA7IEZPTlQtU0laRTogMTJwdCI+DQo8 RElWPldMTWFpbCBoYXMgYmVlbiByZXN0YXJ0ZWQuJm5ic3A7Jm5ic3A7IE9wdGlvbnMsIE1haWws IFNlbmQsIE5ld3MsIEhUTUwgDQpTZXR0aW5ncywgRW5jb2RlIHRleHQgdXNpbmc6IEJhc2U2NCAo cmV0YWluZWQpLjwvRElWPg0KPERJVj4mbmJzcDs8L0RJVj4NCjxESVY+VG9vbGJhciBzYXlzIFBs YWluIHRleHQgKHNvIEkga25vdyBJ4oCZbSBwb3N0aW5nIGluIFJpY2ggVGV4dCAoSFRNTCkgDQpt b2RlKS48L0RJVj4NCjxESVY+Jm5ic3A7PC9ESVY+DQo8RElWPkkganVzdCB0eXBlZCBhbiBhcG9z dHJvcGhlLiZuYnNwOyZuYnNwOyBXaGF04oCZcyBnb2luZyB0byANCmhhcHBlbj88L0RJVj48L0RJ Vj48L0RJVj48L0JPRFk+PC9IVE1MPg0K
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Translation:   (pasting what I just wrote):

<paste  Alt-Shift-H>

WLMail has been restarted.   Options, Mail, Send, News, HTML Settings, Encode text using: Base64 (retained).

Toolbar says Plain text (so I know I’m posting in Rich Text (HTML) mode).

I just typed an apostrophe.   What’s going to happen?

</paste>

So clearly my previous tests for changes made without restarting WLMail were incomplete, though I still don't understand why apostrophes are suddenly viewable normally.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:28 PM
  • PEhUTUw+PEhFQUQ+PC9IRUFEPg0KPEJPRFk+DQo8RElWIGRpcj1sdHI+DQo8RElWIHN0eWxlPSJG T05ULUZBTUlMWTogJ0FyaWFsJzsgQ09MT1I6ICMwMDAwMDA7IEZPTlQtU0laRTogMTJwdCI+DQo8 QkxPQ0tRVU9URSBzdHlsZT0iTUFSR0lOLVJJR0hUOiAwcHgiIGRpcj1sdHI+DQogIDxESVY+VHJh bnNsYXRpb246Jm5ic3A7Jm5ic3A7IChwYXN0aW5nIHdoYXQgSSBqdXN0IHdyb3RlKTo8L0RJVj4N CiAgPERJVj4mbmJzcDs8L0RJVj4NCiAgPERJVj4mbHQ7cGFzdGUmbmJzcDsgQWx0LVNoaWZ0LUgm Z3Q7PC9ESVY+DQogIDxESVY+Jm5ic3A7PC9ESVY+DQogIDxESVY+V0xNYWlsIGhhcyBiZWVuIHJl c3RhcnRlZC4mbmJzcDsmbmJzcDsgT3B0aW9ucywgTWFpbCwgU2VuZCwgTmV3cywgSFRNTCANCiAg U2V0dGluZ3MsIEVuY29kZSB0ZXh0IHVzaW5nOiBCYXNlNjQgKHJldGFpbmVkKS48L0RJVj4NCiAg PERJVj4mbmJzcDs8L0RJVj4NCiAgPERJVj5Ub29sYmFyIHNheXMgUGxhaW4gdGV4dCAoc28gSSBr bm93IEnigJltIHBvc3RpbmcgaW4gUmljaCBUZXh0IChIVE1MKSANCiAgbW9kZSkuPC9ESVY+DQog IDxESVY+Jm5ic3A7PC9ESVY+DQogIDxESVY+SSBqdXN0IHR5cGVkIGFuIGFwb3N0cm9waGUuJm5i c3A7Jm5ic3A7IFdoYXTigJlzIGdvaW5nIHRvIGhhcHBlbj88L0RJVj4NCiAgPERJVj4mbmJzcDs8 L0RJVj4NCiAgPERJVj4mbHQ7L3Bhc3RlJmd0OzwvRElWPg0KICA8RElWPiZuYnNwOzwvRElWPg0K ICA8RElWPlNvIGNsZWFybHkgbXkgcHJldmlvdXMgdGVzdHMgZm9yIGNoYW5nZXMgbWFkZSB3aXRo b3V0IHJlc3RhcnRpbmcgV0xNYWlsIA0KICB3ZXJlIGluY29tcGxldGUsIHRob3VnaCBJIHN0aWxs IGRvbid0IHVuZGVyc3RhbmQgd2h5IGFwb3N0cm9waGVzIGFyZSBzdWRkZW5seSANCiAgdmlld2Fi bGUgbm9ybWFsbHkuPC9ESVY+PC9CTE9DS1FVT1RFPg0KPERJVj4mbmJzcDs8L0RJVj4NCjxESVY+ TW9yZSBXTE1haWwgcXVpcmtzLiZuYnNwOyZuYnNwOyBUaGUgc3R1ZmYgSSB3cm90ZSBmcm9tIHRo ZSBmb3J1bXMgaXMgDQpUTlIuJm5ic3A7Jm5ic3A7IFRoZSBzdHVmZiBJIHBhc3RlZCBpcyBBcmlh bC4mbmJzcDsgRXZlcnl0aGluZyBpbiBoZXJlIG5vdyBsb29rcyANCmxpa2UgQXJpYWwuJm5ic3A7 Jm5ic3A7IElzIHRoYXQgYmVjYXVzZSBJIG9yaWdpbmFsbHkgc2VlIHRoaW5ncyBpbiBQbGFpbiB0 ZXh0LCANCnVzZSBDdHJsLWcgd2l0aCB0aGF0LCBhbmQgdGhlbiBzd2l0Y2ggdG8gUmljaCBUZXh0 IChIVE1MKSBmb3IgbXkgUmVwbHk/PC9ESVY+DQo8RElWPiZuYnNwOzwvRElWPg0KPERJVj5Bbnl3 YXksIEkgZ3Vlc3MgSSBoYWQgYmV0dGVyIHN0b3AgdXNpbmcgQmFzZTY0IHdpdGggdGhlIGJyaWRn ZS4mbmJzcDsmbmJzcDsgDQo7IF0mbmJzcDsmbmJzcDsmbmJzcDsgVHdvIHN0ZXAgc3dpdGNoPyZu YnNwOyZuYnNwOyBDaGFuZ2UgaXQgbm93LiZuYnNwOyZuYnNwOyANClNlbmQgdGhpcy4mbmJzcDsg TG9vayBhdCB0aGUgcmVzdWx0LiZuYnNwOyZuYnNwOyBSZXN0YXJ0IFdMTWFpbC4mbmJzcDsmbmJz cDsgSW4gDQpmYWN0LCBzaW5jZSZuYnNwOyBOb25lIG1heSBub3QgaGF2ZSBoYWQgYSBmYWlyIHRl c3QgYW5kIHNpbmNlIE5vbmUgc2VlbWVkIHRvIGRvIA0Kc29tZXRoaW5nIGV2ZW4gdGhvdWdoIHRo ZSBjaGFuZ2UgdG8gQmFzZTY0IG1pZ2h0IHN1Z2dlc3QgdGhhdCBpdCBjb3VsZG7igJl0IGhhdmUs IA0KSSBoYXZlIHN3aXRjaGVkIGJhY2sgdG8gTm9uZS4mbmJzcDsmbmJzcDsgU2VuZGluZy4uLjwv RElWPg0KPERJVj4mbmJzcDs8L0RJVj4NCjxESVY+Jm5ic3A7PC9ESVY+PC9ESVY+PC9ESVY+PC9C T0RZPjwvSFRNTD4NCg==
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Translation:  Pasting what I just sent.  Copied from  Alt-Shift-H  display.

<paste>

Translation:   (pasting what I just wrote):

<paste  Alt-Shift-H>

WLMail has been restarted.   Options, Mail, Send, News, HTML Settings, Encode text using: Base64 (retained).

Toolbar says Plain text (so I know I’m posting in Rich Text (HTML) mode).

I just typed an apostrophe.   What’s going to happen?

</paste>

So clearly my previous tests for changes made without restarting WLMail were incomplete, though I still don't understand why apostrophes are suddenly viewable normally.

More WLMail quirks.   The stuff I wrote from the forums is TNR.   The stuff I pasted is Arial.  Everything in here now looks like Arial.   Is that because I originally see things in Plain text, use Ctrl-g with that, and then switch to Rich Text (HTML) for my Reply?

Anyway, I guess I had better stop using Base64 with the bridge.   ; ]    Two step switch?   Change it now.   Send this.  Look at the result.   Restart WLMail.   In fact, since  None may not have had a fair test and since None seemed to do something even though the change to Base64 might suggest that it couldn’t have, I have switched back to None.   Sending...

</paste>

And for the record:  this stuff that I am typing now, looks Arial, not TNR.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Retesting this under new conditions.   See

also I have now set Ignore font styles in Accessibility dialog.

So, more proof that WLMail ignores that option too.   E.g. I still see TNR for unspecified rich text, whereas in IE it has been changed (unexpectedly) to Comic Sans, my default web page font�??implying that somewhere there is actually a specification for Arial!   So, if there is actually a specification for that why is WLMail always showing TNR?   BTW I had ProcMon capturing the startup and the testing implied here.

Oh.  There definitely is a specification for Arial.   Here is what the forum HTML Source Editor shows when I go to Edit my post:

<div style="font-family:'Arial'; color:#000000; font-size:12pt">

Is WLMail generating that or is the bridge?...   I�??ll have to crank up the TCPTrace...

I also just realized that perhaps always starting in plain text and then switching to Rich Text may be affecting the font selection...  I�??ll try testing that change on the fly.  If it works I should try tracing a recreation of it (for comparison); otherwise I had better stop WLMail  with that change requested and retry the test after it restarts.  (cf quirky behaviour re sending options discovered earlier.)

It didn�??t work:  automatic rich text looks the same as manual rich text�??inexplicable portions of TNR.

I think I�??m ready to send this.   Also, since there are lots of special characters in here see what happens to them...
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Reviewing all posts in this thread which still look like TNR.   Surprisingly there aren�??t that many.

Instead of quoting it normally I�??m going to append the entire  Ctrl-F3  result.

Also, now I�??m wondering if as well as making viewing in Rich Text automatic should I be making composing in Rich Text automatic too?   E.g. as soon as I did Ctrl-g all the TNR disappeared and everything became Arial.  Switching to Rich Text has retained Arial.

I�??m going to have to check on the origin of this post.  Try seeing if there is a duplicate in Sent Items...
    Yes.   This was definitely sent from the client...

<sent>
    Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:40:23 -0400
    </sent>

<Ctrl-F3>
    Subject: Re: Why are special characters (e.g. apostrophes) misinterpreted?
    Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 04:40:14 +0000
    Lines: 211
    Message-ID: <98dbda88-ab94-4838-8db5-200fa4ed2cba@communitybridge.codeplex.com>
    Newsgroups: Microsoft.en-US.comsandbox
    Path: LOCALHOST.communitybridge.codeplex.com
    Xref: LOCALHOST.communitybridge.codeplex.com Microsoft.en-US.comsandbox:1157
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3002.810 via Community Forums NNTP Server 1.1.40.0
    X-Comments: IsMVP; Stars=1; Points=439; Posts=264; Answers=7
    X-NNTPServer: Community Forums NNTP Server 1.1.40.0
    X-Face: gUfQ}Xgb$](h.`NjKoSY2tIJ\n_?&{jE!6B_f-evT`5,TuJ=)p=(DJKQT<j`DdAFd;"\\:_
    References: <ab5df5a9-a7ca-41f4-b620-fee166a64268@communitybridge.codeplex.com>

<div>&#65279;&lt;top post&gt;</div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <div>Proof that this was sent from&nbsp; WLMail correctly with the chosen </div>
    <div>modification:</div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <div>Content-Type: text/plain;</div>
    <div>&nbsp;&nbsp; charset=&quot;utf-8&quot;</div>
    <div>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit</div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <div>&#239;&#187;&#191;Copy of previous send.&nbsp;&nbsp; Apostrophes intact.</div>
    <div>&nbsp; &lt;quote repaired&gt;</div>
    <div>&nbsp;&nbsp; Hmm...&nbsp; this time I&#226;â�??¬â�??¢m betting against&nbsp; WLMail.</div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <div>&lt;/top&gt;</div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <div>&quot;Robert Aldwinckle on forums&quot;&nbsp; wrote in message </div>
    <div>news:ab5df5a9-a7ca-41f4-b620-fee166a64268@communitybridge.codeplex.com...</div>
    <div>&nbsp;Copy of previous send.&nbsp;&nbsp; Apostrophes intact.</div>
    <div>&nbsp;&lt;quote repaired&gt;</div>
    <div>&nbsp;Hmm...&nbsp; this time I�??m betting against&nbsp; WLMail.&nbsp;&nbsp; E.g. I just used by
    </div>
    <div>Drafts trick to see what I had written so far and found this (for example): </div>
    <div>shouldn=E2=80=99t&nbsp; &nbsp; Is that really Unicode?&nbsp; Escaped Hex values?&nbsp; I thought
    </div>
    <div>it was supposed to be the actual binary code?&nbsp;&nbsp; Oh, I know.&nbsp;&nbsp; That�??s
    </div>
    <div>Quoted Printable, so it probably is correct and it�??s probably the bridge </div>
    <div>that isn�??t converting it correctly for the forum server to get as a true </div>
    <div>Unicode string.&nbsp;&nbsp; Maybe I�??ll have to stop using Quoted Printable to work
    </div>
    <div>around whatever is causing this.&nbsp; &nbsp; Not now though, in case I make it even
    </div>
    <div>worse.&nbsp;&nbsp; ; )</div>
    <div>&nbsp;&lt;/quote&gt;</div>
    <div>&nbsp; WLMail&nbsp; Options Send tab:&nbsp;&nbsp; HTML Settings:&nbsp; None&nbsp;&nbsp; International: Default
    </div>
    <div>encoding:&nbsp; Unicode (UTF-8)</div>
    <div>&nbsp; Bridge (V.40)&nbsp; Advanced Settings:&nbsp;&nbsp; InMimeUse&nbsp; TextHTML</div>
    <div>&nbsp; Send as Rich Text (HTML)&nbsp;&nbsp; [i.e., Plain text button showing in toolbar]</div>
    <div>&nbsp; Why am I sending this to the COM Sandbox?&nbsp;&nbsp; The problem is normally
    </div>
    <div>manifest on Answers.</div>
    <div>&nbsp;Resending repaired quote to test above noted change in HTML Settings:&nbsp; None</div>
    <div>&nbsp;---</div>
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
    <a name="x_fe20af63-2074-4c4f-ad23-184eecc3a1ec_CommunityBridge" title="Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3002.810 via Community Forums NNTP Server 1.1.40.0"></a>
    </Ctrl-F3>
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:05 PM
  • More changes.    I have now done a �??clean�?� install of  WLMail 2011 production.   I have no idea if I have got things back to the way that I originally had them.   The procedure didn�??t do anything about registry values so everything got set back to defaults.   What I�??m typing looks Calibri, not Arial but at least it isn�??t a serifed font...   Apparently 12 point Calibri is a default for News in the Compose tab.   Who knew?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:37 AM
  • So, clearly the special characters problem has not been resolved by the clean install.

So, where is the problem?   The characters looked Ok when I typed them.   According to TCPTrace WLMail transmits these using Quoted-Printable encoding.    So for example �??clean�?� is sent as

=E2=80=9Cclean=E2=80=9D

Again, I forgot to activate the bridge�??s trace so I don�??t know how it is converting that...   I don�??t know which trace I need.   Let�??s try just  NNTP and WebService.   Supposedly I have Converters disabled.   I don�??t know what Main would do.

So, let�??s send this for that trace...

---

"Robert Aldwinckle on forums" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message news:1bcac155-a5cf-4bd9-8681-cf176f77c4ec@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    More changes.    I have now done a �??clean�?� install of  WLMail 2011 production.   I have no idea if I have got things back to the way that I originally had them.   The procedure didn�??t do anything about registry values so everything got set back to defaults.   What I�??m typing looks Calibri, not Arial but at least it isn�??t a serifed font...   Apparently 12 point Calibri is a default for News in the Compose tab.   Who knew?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:50 AM
  • I have had to activate all the bridge�??s traces and still I don�??t think there is clear enough indication of where the fault lies.   E.g. the bridge�??s trace shows the Unicode characters have been converted from their Quoted-Printable representation (escaped hex values) to something with 1 byte per value but the trace just shows question marks and other ASCII characters.   That may be fine or not depending on what is actually transmitted.   So I think I am going to have to use  WireShark or  NetMon to see that  (e.g. either as the real UTF-8 string or its hex equivalent.)

Manana.

---

"Robert Aldwinckle on forums" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message news:b2517f33-0d15-48a3-97fc-db10bdbffae5@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    So, clearly the special characters problem has not been resolved by the clean install.

So, where is the problem?   The characters looked Ok when I typed them.   According to TCPTrace WLMail transmits these using Quoted-Printable encoding.    So for example �??clean�?� is sent as

=E2=80=9Cclean=E2=80=9D

Again, I forgot to activate the bridge�??s trace so I don�??t know how it is converting that...   I don�??t know which trace I need.   Let�??s try just  NNTP and WebService.   Supposedly I have Converters disabled.   I don�??t know what Main would do.

So, let�??s send this for that trace...

---

"Robert Aldwinckle on forums" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message news:1bcac155-a5cf-4bd9-8681-cf176f77c4ec@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    More changes.    I have now done a �??clean�?� install of  WLMail 2011 production.   I have no idea if I have got things back to the way that I originally had them.   The procedure didn�??t do anything about registry values so everything got set back to defaults.   What I�??m typing looks Calibri, not Arial but at least it isn�??t a serifed font...   Apparently 12 point Calibri is a default for News in the Compose tab.   Who knew?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:20 AM