Code quality of the Plugin Registration tool. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Is it just me, but is the quality of the code within the Plugin Registration tool held in CRM's SDK very very poor?  I was looking to make a few changes to it to allow more than two entities to be included in a SDK step only to be hit with a monotonous shambles of dreary spaghetti logic that has chaotic roles and responsibilties within it (on the plus side it works).  If I worked for Microsoft, I'm sure I could do a better job ;)

Regards,

Jim

Jim - www.jamesmcguigan.co.uk
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,
    I think, each developer has its own way to write code. Obviously quality of code should be maintained everywhere.
    I think, we need extend and modify the Plugin tools as we want and that the reason plugin tool comes with the source code.
    Well, I am not using Plugin tool, I have few xml files, which I am using to register any dlls, plugins steps and messages by Command prompt.
    Anyway,
    I will be interested to know what modification you have achieved in Plugin Registration tool

Many Thanks -Bhautik Desai xRM Technologies
    Friday, November 25, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Hi Bhautik,

We will looking into changing the functionality of the tool regarding the configuration of entities.  At the moment the tool only allows us to assign two entities per sdk step.  From an enterprise development approach this is not ideal.  We were going to replace the two controls with a list box that allowed multiple entities to be configured at one time.  Digging deep into the code identified that the SDK restricts this number.  Not too sure which class had this restriction, I think it was sdkmessagefilter.  Was it because of this restriction why you are using command prompt and xml files?

Cheers,

Jim

Jim - www.jamesmcguigan.co.uk
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:09 AM