Configuring Server Backup ... selectively? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 500gb usb added as a server backup. It added fine and I can see the server in the backups section.

Issue is ... my shared folders total more than 500gb ... The only non grayed options for the server backup are view backups or backup now. (see screenshot http://screencast.com/t/nfUWis15 ) Configure backup is not available.

My questions are ... is it supposed to be configurable?

If I run backup now even though I don't have enough space on the drive what happens when its full?

Thanks

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:54 PM

Answers

• Todd,

Click on backup now and it will allow you to select you folder for backup.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Friday, June 13, 2008 12:07 AM
  • You can view server backups like backups for other PCs and delete a backup set from there.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 1:40 AM

All replies

• Todd,

Click on backup now and it will allow you to select you folder for backup.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Friday, June 13, 2008 12:07 AM
  • If you choose 'backup now', you can indeed select the folders you want to backup.

You can indeed select to keep your choices for the next backup.

But the next backup can only be a manual backup !

Is the server backup not included in the normal backup procedure like the clients are then ?

Can it not be automated ?

Friday, June 13, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Thanks Misty32 (Dan) and Matrix .. yes that definetly answers my question. See screenshot

http://screencast.com/t/KbTou7KUFgV

Unfortunately ... my video folder's 478 gb is too large to fit on the 500 gb drive (formatted size 468gb) .

It would have been nice if I could have selected  folders within the video folder and at least backed up some of them ... as it is now I only have 77gb in other shared folders to put on the 500gb server backup drive.

Yes ...  I can get around that by moving some video files to another shared folder and then back up the entire reduced size video folder ... but a folder selection within the shared folder would have been a lot easier.

I'm just saying ....

A screen shot of the backup in progress is at:

http://screencast.com/t/kt6UPg7eK2

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Matrix-z: Server backup can't be automated. It will only run when you initiate it yourself. There was a tool in early betas of PP1 that would allow you to automate it, but that tool is gone.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Given that fact, is there any reason to use the new built in server backup instead of a utility like SyncBack to do this backing up?  I'm having a hard time understanding why the new feature is any better than my current method.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 1:45 PM
  •  Damager9 wrote:
    Given that fact, is there any reason to use the new built in server backup instead of a utility like SyncBack to do this backing up?  I'm having a hard time understanding why the new feature is any better than my current method.
    It depends on what you want at the end of the day. The WHS version of server backup will let you keep an archive of backups on a single drive; that archive may seem much larger than the drive itself, because if a file doesn't change from one backup to the next, all that's stored is a hard link. You get a form of versioning as a result. You give up scheduling.

If you roll your own, you can schedule it, but there aren't any tools available that I know of that will create hard links for unchanged files, so you'll have to give up the archiving feature. Personally, I use robocopy on my production server, and will probably continue to do so, because I don't want to keep an archive of previous backups, I want to be able to restore my server to it's current state, and robocopy does a fine job of mirroring changes in the file system from server to external drive.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Ok.. so where I left off .. I had a 77gb server backup on a 468gb drive because the folder I wanted to back up was too big for the drive.

I created a new folder share (tv) and moved some of the files from video  to tv. Now the shared video folder is about 386gb ....

Since I didn't want to cut it too close ... I remoted in to the server and deleted the files on the non storage server backup drive. Back to 468gb showing available on storage view.

Of course that was a bad Idea .. when I went to backups view the server backup still thinks the files are there. When I did backup now there was no option to select folder it just started autonmatically (note: I had not checked the box to save settings on previous backup)  ... and it completed in 2 seconds seconds and told me there was now 144gb on the drive... (there wasn't)

I went back to storage view and removed the drive ... then added it again. Went back to backups view and selected server ... backup now and selected the video folder and have started the server backup again.

So my question is  ... how was I supposed to get rid of the initial 77gb on the server backup to free up space and reselect folders to backup?

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:25 AM
  • You can view server backups like backups for other PCs and delete a backup set from there.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 1:40 AM