Missing halmacpi.dll upon install RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to do a clean install of WHS on a system that was running WHS Trial Edition just fine.  However... after clearing the hard drives of all the data (I thought maybe attempting to install over the trial version was the problem) I'm getting this error w/ both the OEM DVD and the Trial Version!

\windows\system32\halmacpi.dll

Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing or corrupt

This error occurs just after the "Setup is loading files" screen... before I even have an attempt at a repair or anything.

Again... I've had WHS running on this system that I built consisting of a P-IV 2.5 Ghz, 2 GB RAM and (2) SATA HDD connected to a Sil RAID controller.

One would think the RAID controller was the issue... but again, it worked before!

Please help!

Eric
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:30 AM

Answers

• I'm attempting to do a clean install of WHS on a system that was running WHS Trial Edition just fine.  However... after clearing the hard drives of all the data (I thought maybe attempting to install over the trial version was the problem) I'm getting this error w/ both the OEM DVD and the Trial Version!

This error occurs just after the "Setup is loading files" screen... before I even have an attempt at a repair or anything.

Again... I've had WHS running on this system that I built consisting of a P-IV 2.5 Ghz, 2 GB RAM and (2) SATA HDD connected to a Sil RAID controller.

One would think the RAID controller was the issue... but again, it worked before!

Please help!

Eric
    Have you tried another DVD drive?
    Funny you should ask.  Actually... when putting the OEM DVD in my workstation drive... it wouldn't read it at all.  Nonetheless... I took yet another DVD drive and hooked it up to my server and it booted w/ a different error.  Hmmm... I'm thinking... random errors and then I rememered... there is a difference in hardware between when I installed the Trial Version and now... memory.

So... I put the memory back in with which the Trial Version was installed and viola... the OEM version is currently installing.  I guess the installer must have an issue w/ the memory I had in there that the OS, once installed, does not.

Eric
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:21 AM

All replies

Please help!

Eric
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:46 AM

Please help!

Eric
    Funny you should ask.  Actually... when putting the OEM DVD in my workstation drive... it wouldn't read it at all.  Nonetheless... I took yet another DVD drive and hooked it up to my server and it booted w/ a different error.  Hmmm... I'm thinking... random errors and then I rememered... there is a difference in hardware between when I installed the Trial Version and now... memory.

So... I put the memory back in with which the Trial Version was installed and viola... the OEM version is currently installing.  I guess the installer must have an issue w/ the memory I had in there that the OS, once installed, does not.

Eric
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:21 AM