one care wont uninstall or run. RRS feed

• Question

• I originally had a problem starting one care, I would click on the icon in task bar a popup would say windows one care has encountered a problem and must close. I uninstalled it then reinstalled with the same result. I tryed again this time using the uninstall then the clean up link provided, same result except now it will not uninstall. using cc cleaner I get failed to start because winssplatform.dll is missing. I used the link to remove one care provided in the forum and I get windows one care cleaner has encountered a problem and must close. Win xp sp3. I have not installed or removed any software before or since this problem occured.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 9:02 PM

Answers

• The most common reason for this error is that the date and time on your PC is incorrect. So, check that carefully, fix it if needed and reboot the PC. Of course, contact support if that doesn't help.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:41 AM

All replies

• Hello Tonjen, please contact support for help with this issue. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:15 PM
  • The most common reason for this error is that the date and time on your PC is incorrect. So, check that carefully, fix it if needed and reboot the PC. Of course, contact support if that doesn't help.
    -steve
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Thanks for the help, I found a better way to handle this problem. I cleaned out the program manually from the hard drive and the registry. I then purchased AVG defender and installed it. This also fixed the random "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". My computer is one of the latest intel platform, dual video card, high gigs and fast, I view it on a 72" Samsung 1080p monitor, I am pretty savy when it comes to computers and problems, I can fix my problem. I am scared for my mother for whom I recently bought a laptop, she will not be able to handle Microsofts buggy poorly written programs.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 4:10 PM
  • I'm glad you found a working solution for yourself. AVG is a good program. As for your mother, if she is using OneCare without an issue today, it should be fine going foward. If she encounters a problem, she can contact support. I suspect your problem was due to dependencies being broken due to tweaking or a conflicting product/service.
    -steve
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:00 PM