Windows Home Server cannot update! RRS feed

• Question

• I must be having a horrible Home Server week.  I decided to re-install my home server of nearly a year after I ran into a number of problems with backups.  Having made the plunge I setup the machine again and found that both the old and new machines are unable to access windows update.  If I go to windows update in IE, I get a 0x80072EE2 error.  If I use the console to update I get an error that it was unable to complete and that I should try again later and reboot if that does not fix it.  Neither machine can successfully update and my older machine was doing this since at least the 23rd of June (that's as far back as the WindowsUpdate.log goes back).  I would really appreciate any assistance in getting windows update working again.  Thanks.

Mike

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:06 AM

All replies

• I must be having a horrible Home Server week.  I decided to re-install my home server of nearly a year after I ran into a number of problems with backups.  Having made the plunge I setup the machine again and found that both the old and new machines are unable to access windows update.  If I go to windows update in IE, I get a 0x80072EE2 error.  If I use the console to update I get an error that it was unable to complete and that I should try again later and reboot if that does not fix it.  Neither machine can successfully update and my older machine was doing this since at least the 23rd of June (that's as far back as the WindowsUpdate.log goes back).  I would really appreciate any assistance in getting windows update working again.  Thanks.

Mike

Did you reboot your server?  After you did your reinstallation, were you able to access WU even once?  If not, did you install any apps/add-ins first?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Yes, I had rebooted.  If I look at the log I see that it updated the Windows Update components, but there are tons of failed attempts.  It is not clear if it was ever successful outside of updating Windows Update.  I have not installed anything.  I let the setup complete, went through the welcome wizard and setup the admin password, etc and rebooted.  I came back and tried update from the console and it fails.  As I said previously a working machine also developed this condition after tons of updates (over a year or so).  Lately it cannot update either.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Yes, I had rebooted.  If I look at the log I see that it updated the Windows Update components, but there are tons of failed attempts.  It is not clear if it was ever successful outside of updating Windows Update.  I have not installed anything.  I let the setup complete, went through the welcome wizard and setup the admin password, etc and rebooted.  I came back and tried update from the console and it fails.  As I said previously a working machine also developed this condition after tons of updates (over a year or so).  Lately it cannot update either.

You mentioned problems with your backups as well.  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive?  Perhaps your issues are both related to a failing hard drive.  (If nothing else, I would suggest another reinstallation and try updating your server before you do anything else.)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:16 AM
  • OK, some more playing and I found that turning off the Windows Firewall will allow windows update to work correctly.  So the question is what is the firewall blocking that prevents Windows Update from working.  
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:01 AM
  • OK, some more playing and I found that turning off the Windows Firewall will allow windows update to work correctly.  So the question is what is the firewall blocking that prevents Windows Update from working.  

Did you at any point change the Windows Firewall settings?  Is your firewall set to not allow exceptions?  Can you post the exceptions shown in the firewall?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Nope, no changes.  As I said, this is just installed, no changes.  The firewall "Don't allow exceptions" is unchecked.  The following entries are in the exceptions list:

File and Print Sharing (TCP 139, TCP 445, UDP 137, UDP 138)
    HTTP (TCP 55000)
    HTTP (TCP 80)
    HTTPS (TCP 56000)
    Remote Desktop (TCP 3389)
    UPnP Framework (TCP 2869, UDP 1900)
    Windows Home Server Computer Backup (whsbackup.exe)
    Windows Home Server Transport Service (TCP 1138)
    Windows Media Connect (UDP 10284)
    Windows Media Connect (UDP 10283)
    Windows Media Connect (UDP 10282)
    Windows Media Connect (UDP 10281)
    Windows Media Connect (UDP 10280)
    Windows Media Connect (TCP 10243)

Mike
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Nope, no changes.  As I said, this is just installed, no changes.  The firewall "Don't allow exceptions" is unchecked.  The following entries are in the exceptions list:

HTTP (TCP 55000)
    HTTP (TCP 80)
    HTTPS (TCP 56000)

Mike
    Are you behind a proxy server?

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Edited by Lara JonesModerator Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:21 PM proxy server! needed to add server
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:16 PM

HTTP (TCP 55000)
    HTTP (TCP 80)
    HTTPS (TCP 56000)

Mike

You're missing a couple:

HTTPS (TCP 443)
    RDP Proxy (TCP 4125)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:31 AM
  • I also had this problem after re-installing Home Server. I discovered the problem was that the time & date on the homeserver computer was incorrect- by about 6 years. To fix it I had to manually change the date to the correct day and I then updated the time by using the update button to sync with time.windows.com The auto time update in Windows won't update the date & time when it is so far out. I was also unable to activate home server successfully also until I did this.

I believe the reason an incorrect date so far out messes with Home Server is because SSL certificates won't work when the computer date is so wrong. I discovered this when I manually tried to run Windows Update when logged into homeserver with Remote Desktop and got the following error:

Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update certificate. To fix this:
    1. In Control Panel, open Date and Time Properties.
    2. Ensure that the date and time are correct.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x80072F8F) yourself. 
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 7:50 AM