MS MONEY REPORT RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I've used MS Money for many years, it's first class. Why on earth did Microsoft not continue with it?

Anyway, I can prepare reports by investment account, i.e. each individual broker who holds my investments but what I'd also like to do is prepare a report by individual investment, i.e. each stock e.g. Lloyds Bank, Marks & Spencer etc, irrespective of the account holder. Is that possible?

Regards,

Gordon Dow.

Friday, November 3, 2017 1:13 PM

All replies

• On Money 99, I can produce a summary report for stocks held in multiple accounts with
        Reports -> Personal -> Investments -> Portfolio Value by Investment Account
    and then Customize as follows:
        Rows & Columns -> Subtotal by -> None
        Chart -> Report
        Account -> Select All
        Investment -> Select All

It produces some extraneous data regarding cash accounts associated with the investment accounts.  I export the report to a text file and then import that to Excel where I do the real analysis I'm interested in.

Obviously, you can be more selective on the Account and Investment tabs.

I would expect a similar procedure to work on later versions.

Friday, November 3, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

When you say 

"and then Customize as follows:
        Rows & Columns -> Subtotal by -> None
        Chart -> Report
        Account -> Select All
        Investment -> Select All"

is that done in Money or after exporting to a text file? If it's done in Money, how do you do it?

Cheers,

Gordon.

Friday, November 3, 2017 5:05 PM
  • All of that is done in Money.

What version of Money are you using-- Money 2005 or what?

How far can you get? I think you found Reports. Do you see either Customize or Customise in the left column when you view a report?

If you don't see "Portfolio Value by Investment Accounts", click
    Reports->ChangeReportSettings->SwitchFromEssentialToAdvancedReports.

Go to the "Portfolio Value by Investment Accounts". Then go to Rows & Columns -> Subtotal by -> None etc as Barry-Schwarz says.

You may also be better off by looking at the Portfolio, and selecting GroupBy:Postitions.

If I attempt to print the portfolio, I get an error popup. But then I find a file called  %tmp%\temp.htm which I can open and print from the browser. I don't normally try to print the Portfolio, but I do look at the the portfolio. You can do a lot of things to make it to your liking. You can sort by the various columns. You can choose to show closed positions, or not.

Incidentally, I am thinking that what you called an account holder is usually called a Financial Institution.

Friday, November 3, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Thanks Cal. I'm using Version 14.0.120.1105, i.e. the Sunset Edition I think it's called.

And thanks to Barry too - I've now got the report I wanted, huge thanks to both of you.

Regards,

Gordon.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:55 PM