NORCO DS-520 Home Server NAS Appliance RRS feed

• Question

• I found this on Engadget;
    NORCO DS-520 Home Server Appliance provides a versatile platform for building home server and Network Attached Storage (NAS). It is based on the high performance Intel ULV Celeron M /Pentium M Processor. Five hot swappable SATA II drive bays make adding hard drives and capacity a snap. Three eSATA and four USB 2.0 ports allow you to add external hard drives, digital media cards, wireless adapters , printers and other USB devices. Eight individual SATA channels provide total expansion capacity up to 8TB* of storage. Loaded with Windows Home Server, Linux, Open BSD or other open source NAS software like OpenFiler, FreeNAS, Samba, the DS-520 can maximize the power and potential of your home network. This ultimate NAS platform provides media sharing and centralized data storage and protection all in one box.

Read more at http://www.norcotek.com/DS-520.php

Sounds like it would be on the expensive side but if you don't want to piece something together and can afford it, this could be a good solution.
    Monday, October 8, 2007 2:10 PM

All replies

• I finally get my hand on a copy of Windows Home server from Newegg today!!! After MONTHS of waiting I can finally starting to build my own server. I came acroos this when I was looking for parts,

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/4343/norco_announces_the

it seems like a barebone but looks like if u throw in a harddrive and ram and that's about it. I'd rather have a system like that than a doll NAS drive. Comments, any1?

Saturday, October 6, 2007 12:41 AM
  • My main concern would be that the processor is pretty low-powered. The more powerful version is only a 1 GHz Celeron M, and I'd bet it's soldered in place. That's just barely the minimum processor spec for WHS. I see that it comes with KVM adapters, which is nice. It's pretty pricey, too, for what it is. The NAS appliance it's based on is $500. The DS-520 has to cost more than that...
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:37 AM
  • hmm, called up Norco, and done some reaserch on websites.
    it seems to me
    Intel ULV Celeron M 1GHz would be sufficent since WHS require far less resource then vista. gonna give it a shot when it comes out.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:18 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I see that it comes with KVM adapters, which is nice. It's pretty pricey, too, for what it is. The NAS appliance it's based on is $500. The DS-520 has to cost more than that...

Don't recall where, but I saw an MSRP of $620.

But I didn't see the KVM adapters. Could you point me in the right direction?

And how exactly does one install WHS on a headless system? I used external keyboard, mouse and display for the installation and then disconnected them all. Today my WHS box resides in the basement with just power and an Ethernet connection. How would I bring up WHS without display and input devices?

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Follow the link above, then look at "Package Contents". The adapters let you connect KVM to the headers on the motherboard for the initial installation.
    Monday, October 29, 2007 9:02 PM
  •  pilikiwi wrote:

I finally get my hand on a copy of Windows Home server from Newegg today!!! After MONTHS of waiting I can finally starting to build my own server. I came acroos this when I was looking for parts,

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/4343/norco_announces_the

it seems like a barebone but looks like if u throw in a harddrive and ram and that's about it. I'd rather have a system like that than a doll NAS drive. Comments, any1?

George Ou's on ZDNet has a blog entry titled "Build the $340 NAS for half the price but double the speed"  ( http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=829 ).  There's a pretty extensive talkback section to this article that brings up this model.  To summarize, the $340 cost of the do-it-yourself NAS doesn't include the cost of the drives; however, the NAS will include 1 GB network connectors.  The $649 prices of the Norco DS 520 includes four 250GB drives; however Norco has refused to provide any units for review.  This is not a good sign, and would indicate that the speed of the unit (both computational and network) would be subpar at best.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Hi pilikiwi

Be sure to write up a review for us.

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:54 PM