Windows Home server 2011 choppy video RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, So, I just finished building a server and I put all my videos on it. The problem I am having is all videos take 2 to 3 minutes to load up and once they do they play for a second at most and then seem to buffer for a minute or so and play again for a second. Does this whether I try on my home pc, two diff laptops, tv, or ps3.

Ideas?, Questions?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:45 PM

All replies

• What transfer rates are you getting copying filed to/from your server shares?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:15 PM
  • All files I copied to the server I had done with an external drive so I ran a quick test with a 800Mb file. Uploading to the server Gigabit to Gigabit I am getting about 1MBps, downloading the file from the server I must be getting less as it just says calculating......

I downloaded the same file from my main pc to my laptop and got about 8MBps then tried uploading it to the server from my laptop and get the same 1MBps as with the desktop to server.

Server shows it has a gigabit connection but I went and swapped out the cat5e cable for a new cat6, same results.

Router I am running through is a linksys e4200, if that matters at all.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:57 PM
  • While trying to watch a movie, resource monitor in WHS shows under 200 kbps network traffic.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Something seriously wrong with your transfer rates which are likely to be the cause of your problems. I just copied a 1.5GB file from my server at 65MB/sec on a GB LAN. It looks like your LAN is running slow for some reason as even your fastest transfer (8MB/sec) looks much too slow for a GB LAN. I suggest troubleshooting that before addressing anything that might be wrong with the Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:24 AM