none
WHS SLOW RRS feed

• Question

• WHS Seems to run considerably slower then my Win2K3 Servers at my office, and my server is comparable to the office servers (other than HD capacity).

Anybody got any Ideas?

Case: Ultra M923 ATX Black Full Tower Case
    Motherboard: Tyan S2668 Tiger i7505
    CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon 2.66 ghz
    RAM: 2 Gb
    Video Card: NVidia GeForce 6600
    NIC: Realtek RTL8169 Gigabit Ethernet
    SATA Ctrl: 2 x Silicon Image SiI 3114 SATARaid Controller (Non-Raid)
    HD Cage: 2 x iStarUSA BPU-340SA-BLUE SATA Hot-Swap Raid Cage
    Case Fan: 5 x 120 mm, 1 x 80 mm

Drives:
    1 x Western Digital IDE 250GB WD2500BB (OS Drive)
    3 x Seagate SATA 1TB ST310005N1A1AS-RK
    2 x Western Digital SATA 750GB
    2 x Seagate SATA 500GB
    1 x DVD IDE HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH20LP20
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:03 PM

Answers

• That sounds definitively a bit long.
    Could you try to uninstall the Add-ins (especially WHS-uTorrent, WHS My Movies, WebGuide4, if this speeds up the system (after a reboot)?
    Are the network drivers up to date?
    Any errors or warnings on the event log?

The NVidia drivers for your Video card may also cause issues with Remote Desktop.
    Try to import the following lines on your server  after saving them in a text file with extension .reg: 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "SessionImageSize"=dword:00000020

Reboot and check, if the problem is solved.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 19, 2009 1:53 PM
  • You have several add-ins and tools listed which are all I/O, CPU, and/or memory hungry. I suspect that's where any performance problem lies.

However, the console taking 20-30 seconds to start up is not unusual, and does not indicate a problem with your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:45 PM

All replies

• The only thing that jumps out at me is the RealTek nic. Some people have had performance problems with RealTek based NICs. Can you try another one?

Also, can you define "considerably slower"? What's your home network environment like? What operating systems, general age of hardware, physical infrastructure? What operations are you having trouble with?

Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Okay besides the WHS (which I will try another NIC) Add-ins include: WHS-uTorrent Ver 1.1.1.0 running as a service, WHS Disk Management ver 1.0.9.8, WHS My Movies Ver 1.0.3.0, WHS Toolkit 1.1 Ver 6.0.1800.0, and WebGuide4 Ver 4.1.13. Motherboard / CPUs 3 years old, a couple of the HD 3 years, the rest younger.

All harwire components CAT6E 
    1- D-Link DGS-2205 Gigabit Switch, CAT6E 
    1 SMC-8014 Cable Modem, CAT6E 
    1- D-Link DGL-4500 Gammer Lounge WiFi, CAT6E 
    1- D-Link DNS-323 NAS, CAT6E 
    2- D-Link DSM-520 Media Players, 1 CAT6E, 1 Wifi
    1- DirecTv DVR, CAT6E 
    1- Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop, 2Gb Ram, Win XP SP3, Wifi
    1- Dell Diminsion Laptop, 2 Gb Ram, Win Vista, Wifi
    1- Dell Deminision E-520 Desktop w 3 gb Ram, WIN XP sp3, CAT6E 

When I log onto the WHS desktop directly, Console open slow 27~30 Seconds, 16 seconds to open the "Shared folders" shortcut, just in general operations take longer to perform on this server, then I am used to at work, where I remote desktop to my servers.
    Logon to Console from desktop 27~30 Seconds.

Monday, January 19, 2009 1:22 PM
  • That sounds definitively a bit long.
    Could you try to uninstall the Add-ins (especially WHS-uTorrent, WHS My Movies, WebGuide4, if this speeds up the system (after a reboot)?
    Are the network drivers up to date?
    Any errors or warnings on the event log?

The NVidia drivers for your Video card may also cause issues with Remote Desktop.
    Try to import the following lines on your server  after saving them in a text file with extension .reg: 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "SessionImageSize"=dword:00000020

Reboot and check, if the problem is solved.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 19, 2009 1:53 PM
  • You have several add-ins and tools listed which are all I/O, CPU, and/or memory hungry. I suspect that's where any performance problem lies.

However, the console taking 20-30 seconds to start up is not unusual, and does not indicate a problem with your server.

Monday, January 19, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Thanks for the responces will try them all, and now I have an excuse to double my memory!  Still for two xeon processors I wouldn't have expected this much of a load.  Thanks again I will post again when i tryed these and let you know.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 11:59 PM