It validated Office 2003 fine, but not my FrontPage 2002 - both are retail purchases. RRS feed

• Question

• I decided I wanted to download the Windows Live Local Add-in for Microsoft
    Office Outlook, and of course "validation" was required, so I did that.

For the first time ever it said my copy of FrontPage 2002 was not activated,
    and so I can no longer download anything because I can't pass MS's
    validation test.

My Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 completed
    validation; as did my copy of Microsoft OneNote 2003.

But not my FrontPage 2002.

All of my software was bought at retail, including my
    copy of FrontPage 2002, which I had bought with my other Office 2002 software at
    that time. I didn't get FrontPage 2003 when I purchased Office 2003 because the
    upgrade was not compelling enough for my needs, so I kept 2002 on my
    machine.

All of my software has been on my machine for years and I have NEVER had a
    problem with validation until now.

I even tried hitting Help | Activate within FrontPage 2002 to see what would
    happen, and of course it said that the program *had already been activated*!
    Well, no kidding!

It says its licensed to me and has a product ID number in the About box; it's also at SP2.

Can anyone help me?

Friday, December 1, 2006 2:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Wlow,

Can you try the following for me?

1)     Go to:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
    2)     Delete the data.dat file.
    3)     This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA).
    4)     Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and or FrontPage and ACTIVATE it.
    5)     After product activation is successful, let’s try revalidating (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

Thanks,
    Michelle

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:38 PM

All replies

• Activation Wizard Appears Each Time That You Start an Office Program: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316769/en-us
    Friday, December 1, 2006 1:14 PM
  • What does that even mean? That has nothing to do with my problem. The activation wizard does not start anytime I open anything. I said that I tried to -- in effect -- re-activate FrontPage 2002 with Help | Activate, but it gave the message that it was already activated. So now I seem to be stuck.
    Friday, December 1, 2006 11:26 PM
  • Hi Wlow,

Can you try the following for me?

1)     Go to:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
    2)     Delete the data.dat file.
    3)     This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA).
    4)     Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and or FrontPage and ACTIVATE it.
    5)     After product activation is successful, let’s try revalidating (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

Thanks,
    Michelle

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:38 PM