Newbie question: Using an e-mail server and/or web server with Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings...first time poster and so far not a WHS user...

Is it possible to set up an e-mail server (if so which one???) and/or a web server (if so which one...) within a Windows Home Server installation?

I have not been able to find out if this is possible and most likely am either overlooking it or not asking the right questions.

I want to set up a server at home that will: 1) perform file storage, 2) back up duties, 3) media server, 4) e-mail server (to control my own) and 5) be a web server (so I don't have to keep paying someone else to host my sites.)

I know the 1st three are possible with WHS, but not the last 2.

Thanks,

Ralph
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:40 AM

Answers

Is it possible to set up an e-mail server (if so which one???) and/or a web server (if so which one...) within a Windows Home Server installation?

I have not been able to find out if this is possible and most likely am either overlooking it or not asking the right questions.

I want to set up a server at home that will: 1) perform file storage, 2) back up duties, 3) media server, 4) e-mail server (to control my own) and 5) be a web server (so I don't have to keep paying someone else to host my sites.)

Thanks,

Ralph
    WHS already hosts a web site (Remote Access) so I advise you not to try to set up your own web server.  As for setting up an e-mail server, you might be able to pull it off, but it's definitely unsupported (as is installing any app/service through the server desktop) and probably a violation of the EULA as well.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Hi Ralph,
    in relation to WHS as mail server you might find this website interesting.
    On top of what kariya already mentioned:
    The problem with home based mail servers is, that mail not coming from a system with a fix IP is often sorted out as spam.
    For a home based web server, the limited bandwidth for upload, which fits for most private connections, is the factor, which makes it unusable for more than a few users. So I would recommend a hosting offer of a commercial site.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:48 AM

All replies

Thanks,

Ralph
    WHS already hosts a web site (Remote Access) so I advise you not to try to set up your own web server.  As for setting up an e-mail server, you might be able to pull it off, but it's definitely unsupported (as is installing any app/service through the server desktop) and probably a violation of the EULA as well.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Hi Ralph,
    in relation to WHS as mail server you might find this website interesting.
    On top of what kariya already mentioned:
    The problem with home based mail servers is, that mail not coming from a system with a fix IP is often sorted out as spam.
    For a home based web server, the limited bandwidth for upload, which fits for most private connections, is the factor, which makes it unusable for more than a few users. So I would recommend a hosting offer of a commercial site.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Thanks for the response (sorry it took so long...)

What I really want to do the Remote Access wouldn't do

I have several "commercial" web sites and just wanted a way to serve them up from home.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ralph
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:44 AM
  • Olaf,

Thanks, I'll check out the link...

I can understand about the dynamic IP...I'm struggling with that right now...but Bellsouth really wants to charge me for a static IP.

Thanks again.

Ralph
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:46 AM