SQL Sync with Windows Mobile RRS feed

• Question

•  

It is my understanding that the only current way to sync a PDA SQLCE database with a desktop is to use IIS, SQL server and the ADO.NET stuff.

I have a very simple application that is desktop and windows mobile. I am just starting work on it so the options are wide open for now. My goal is a simple database that will sync columns on both sides.

I don't want to have to set up IIS and SQL server on my client's computers. It will be a mass market product and that is just inviting a ton of support that I don't want to have to deal with. The application is too simple and cheap for that.

I know I can go the old fasion ActiveSync component route, but that is such a pain. I could also use a 3rd party solution, but again, too expensive for this application.

My question is whether anyone knows of a simple solution.

Is there any way in SQLCE to query a remote database and do updates to it? Could the desktop application get access to the PDA SQLCE database or the other way around?

Any help would be great. I have the experience to write an ActiveSync component myself. That is not the problem. It is just such a pain and it seems like in today's day and age I shouldn't have to.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:09 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am sorry, but in the current state of our software I do not believe we have an easy solution for you.  As you have noticed the Sync Service for ADO.NET solution requires sync through IIS. 

I have never tried this myself, but if you knew of a way to remotely connect to a SQL Compact database through activesync, I think we could help you a little more.  However, for now I am not sure if I can think of any other great solutions.  Perhaps you could check out the SQL Compact forum for this?

Liam

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am sorry, but in the current state of our software I do not believe we have an easy solution for you.  As you have noticed the Sync Service for ADO.NET solution requires sync through IIS. 

I have never tried this myself, but if you knew of a way to remotely connect to a SQL Compact database through activesync, I think we could help you a little more.  However, for now I am not sure if I can think of any other great solutions.  Perhaps you could check out the SQL Compact forum for this?

Liam

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:11 PM
  • I have also posted this question in the SQLCE forum without any answers really. The best I have so far is to use the RAPI tools to copy the actual .sdf database file from the device onto the desktop and then open both of them on the desktop and do the sync that way. Not the cleanest solution, but the best I have so far.

The really frustrating thing about this is that Visual Studio all the way back to 2003 has the ability to connect to a database on a device and even to queries and such. If VS can do it why can an application that I develop?

I have also posted this in the Visual Studio forum with no replies yet.

Since you work there and you have a stake in making this work is there any chance you could get with the VS team somehow in a way that I can't and ask them about it?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:25 PM
  • You bet, let me check with the PM for SQL Compact and see if he has any ideas.

Liam

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Thanks a bunch.

You may also have to check with the Visual Studio, Windows Mobile or RAPI teams because this is not something unique to SQL Compact.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:48 PM