none
Which system? WHS vs. WS2k8 vs. Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I was looking for some help and advice. I am VERY inexperienced with this stuff so sorry if I sound like a fool.  I understand WHS, Ws2k8 and Win 7 are all quite different, and each have their advantages, I just don't know which one is best for me. Here is my situation; I am a small business owner looking to make the most out of a totally new set up. Please help me determine if what I want to do is even possible and if so which may be the best way to go. What I would like to do is have my new computer at home(2  1.5TB HD's) act as a "main" back up and access point for my 2 stores computers, it would also be my at home use computer(minimal gaming, Adobe programs, internet use, ect.). I currently use Win 7 on the computer at one store and Vista on one at another store. I would like to have one central place(new computer at home) to store customer files/info along with a pricing program we use, and be able to access them from anywhere. I really like the feel and look of Win 7. When I got the demo of WS2k8 I couldn't handle the Windows XP look and feel. I understand if I use Win 7 on my new home computer I can use remote desktop at either store to access the home PC, but can we back up or send our files back(from the stores to the home PC)? Is there a better way to do this with WHS or Ws2k8? I hope I am making at least SOME sense! Thanks in advance for any input.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 5:35 AM

All replies

• I would very seriously suggest you consider finding/hiring a consulting firm that specializes in small and micro businesses. What you say you want to do is not easy, and isn't "built in" to any of the products you mention, so you would have to spend significant time (and money, probably) getting any solution at all working for you.

There are plenty of such firms out there, ranging from one man operations to medium sized companies with dozens of consultants on staff. I don't know where you're located, so I can't give you any specific recommendations, but (of course) get and check references, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Note that you can easily enable the Vista/Win7 Aero look through the Desktop Experience features in Win2k8
    See: http://www.win2008workstation.com/

(Running it myself, using Server 2008 as a host desktop machine as well as Hyper-V VMs in the back, one of which is WHS)
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:42 AM