What Exactly is NEW with v2.5? RRS feed

• Question

• I know that the changes to v2.5 are "under-the-hood" but what are they?  What did these changes improve?  Make OneCare faster?  Use less memory?  More tightly integrate with Vista?  Improve stability?  More complete uninstalls?

Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:18 AM

Answers

• "Under the hood" generally means bug fixes and improvements in the program functionality. The One Care team only announces changes when a major feature is added such as Multi PC management or support for Vista X64.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:06 PM

All replies

• "Under the hood" generally means bug fixes and improvements in the program functionality. The One Care team only announces changes when a major feature is added such as Multi PC management or support for Vista X64.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:06 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    "Under the hood" generally means bug fixes and improvements in the program functionality.

And these "improvements in the program functionality" are?  How about some release notes or a readme?  For a major product release, it is indefensible and insulting to one's customers to not explain what has changed.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Major reason for 2.5 was Windows Live OneCare for Server

As for minor fixes and updates, they are happening all the time and even if they did bother to post them they'd likely simply create confusion. If you want this type of inside information about your protection products you'd be better off with a different product. OneCare is designed for those who just want to be protected and don't care to know such information.

Other than major issues which have been fixed in a recently released version, I've never seen a listing of the minor changes that have occured. It used to bother me too, until I realized it was simply curiosity and not anything of real value that caused me to be interested.

In fact, my relatives who are the main reason I became involved in OneCare could care less and they are precisely the target for the product. In reality they are better protected by not being required to know any of this information, since all it really does is confuse and scare them anyway. The "set-it-and-forget-it" nature of the product actually makes it useable by the non-techno-geeks it was intended to serve.

OneCareBear

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:42 AM