Prep material before starting the MS study material for 70-536 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help?

I'm keen to get started as a .NET programmer. I'm half way through a book called 'Head First C#' which deals with Windows Forms programming.

However, I think I need to go on a different tack in order to pass the first MS exam for .NET, 70-536.

I understand that the new MS study guide book for this exam is quite good but that it's for people who already have quite a lot of experience with .NET. Also, the version of Visual Studio it comes with only last 90 days, and I think I might need more time than this.

I wondered if anyone..

a) Knew of any good introductions to .NET I could go through before taking up the MS materials?

b) If anyone has read 'Head First C#' and knows if this already acts as an adequate introduction?

c) Knew whether a student edition of Visual Studio could be picked up even if you are not a member of college but are just self studying? (I know you can get the Express edition for free but I've heard that you need a fuller version for the 70-536 exam).

In order to take any doubt out of getting the right materials, I'm considering taking up a formal course for the 70-536 exam. However, this costs £1200 ($1700), where as I can get the MS book for £32 ($46).

I know this is a bit of a long post so thanks very much if you got this far, any help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dan : )

Friday, February 27, 2009 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

I recommend the E-Learning courses

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-536.aspx

Link above shows the relevent collections, if you register for a 'second-chance' exam with prometric (do not need to book) you can get a whole E-Learning collection for US$35 (in the UK it is about GBP 22).

This gives you 90 days access.

Also work your way through the microsoft certification book and try and find little projects you can do to make sense of what you have learnt.

My tip for books is to look at reviews in amazon and see which suite you the best.

You can download Visual Studio from the microsodt site, use it for 90 days and then worry about it.  Onluy some exercises need the more advance copies so could always do these first.

Hope this helps

Geoff
    • Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dan301978 Sunday, March 1, 2009 12:27 PM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

I recommend the E-Learning courses

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-536.aspx

Link above shows the relevent collections, if you register for a 'second-chance' exam with prometric (do not need to book) you can get a whole E-Learning collection for US$35 (in the UK it is about GBP 22).

This gives you 90 days access.

Also work your way through the microsoft certification book and try and find little projects you can do to make sense of what you have learnt.

My tip for books is to look at reviews in amazon and see which suite you the best.

You can download Visual Studio from the microsodt site, use it for 90 days and then worry about it.  Onluy some exercises need the more advance copies so could always do these first.

Hope this helps

Geoff
    • Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dan301978 Sunday, March 1, 2009 12:27 PM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Excellent, thanks Ozzy, that's brlliant. I really appreciate it : )

Regards,

Dan.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 12:28 PM