'Task Name' missing from export wizard fields options RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am very new to MS Project, so this may be an oversight but I am having a very frustrating problem.

I work in a company that does not use Project habitually and I need to be able to export my Gannt charts to share them with Project Leads

Using the export Wizard, it all seems fairly simple apart from that I am missing 'Task Name' as an export field option. This then makes the result on Excel useless.

As I say, I am new to this and also not very technical so would really appreciate an answer in the simplest terms possible!

Unfortunately I can't include a screenshot, so hope this makes sense

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 3:04 PM

Answers

• Andreatlr,

Okay, well, the very simple answer is there is no field called "Task Name", the field name is simply "Name". The "Task Name" you see in the column header is the title of the column.

If you look at the Resource Sheet you will also see a column titled Resource Name. However, when looking at a resource view, such as Resource Sheet, the name of that field is also "Name". You might want to take at look at the following article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31991.ms-project-data-types-task-resource-assignment.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Andreatlr Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:35 PM

All replies

• Andreatlr,

Okay, well, the very simple answer is there is no field called "Task Name", the field name is simply "Name". The "Task Name" you see in the column header is the title of the column.

If you look at the Resource Sheet you will also see a column titled Resource Name. However, when looking at a resource view, such as Resource Sheet, the name of that field is also "Name". You might want to take at look at the following article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31991.ms-project-data-types-task-resource-assignment.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Andreatlr Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:35 PM
  • The other option is to save your project as a pdf. Installing a free pdf printer gives you better control over how the pdf looks.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:38 PM
  • This makes perfect sense thank you. Issue resolved :)
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:35 PM
  • Andreatlr,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:11 PM