restoring backup files to whs. RRS feed

• Question

• I've had to rebuild my windows home server from square one. I don't know what happened, but I do know I was close to filling my disk space when the server refused to boot. Anyway I made a copy of all the files on the data drives before I re-installed the operating system. That included my backups of other computers hooked to the server.(The main reason I purchased WHS). I want to now restore this data including the backups to my newly rebuilt server. How do I do this so the server reconizes the backups and can use them if I need to do a restore?

thanks.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:11 PM

Answers

• The Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief describes how to copy and restore your backup database. However, unless you're using Windows Home Server to archive old machines (not recommended, as the backup database can be destroyed by a disk failure), there's no real need to do so. Just back all your computers up again.

As for your files, just copy them from wherever you've got them to the server shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:50 PM

All replies

• The Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief describes how to copy and restore your backup database. However, unless you're using Windows Home Server to archive old machines (not recommended, as the backup database can be destroyed by a disk failure), there's no real need to do so. Just back all your computers up again.

As for your files, just copy them from wherever you've got them to the server shares.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Just backing up my computers again makes sense. I do have some backups of other people's computers that I used WHS to create. I guess that's not a real good way of doing it. I'm thinking of making an image with software like Norton Ghosts and just storing the images on the server. I had been burning them to CD, but it takes so many of them to copy just one system. I also like to keep a backup of my systems right after I have built them. Kind of a clean version of the computer before I start downloading and installing stuff. I wish there was a way I could restore the WHS backup without needing the system connected to the server. That way I could keep the backups off the server and save that space.
    Anyway thanks for the help. I do appreciate.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:42 PM
  • pdcjlw said:

... I wish there was a way I could restore the WHS backup without needing the system connected to the server. That way I could keep the backups off the server and save that space. 

Others have suggested that it would be useful to be able to archive a single backup, or an entire backup database, through the Console. See e.g. here and here. You might want to vote for one or both of those suggestions, or submit one of your own.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:54 PM