Does WHS require that a replacement of a failed drive have the same or more space than to original tro perform a full recovery? RRS feed

• Question

• One drive in my RAID 0 recently failed and I decided to simply remove the failed drive (1 of three) and rebuild the RAID with the two remaining drives.  WHS would not recover my rebuilt RAID saying that there was not sufficient space, even though the back-up was signifcantly smaller than the total amount fo space on the RAID.  When I purchased another drive and rebuilt the RAID to its original size WHS recovered the system easily.  Is there a restriction in recovery that forces WHS to recover a system only if its HD space is identical or greater than than the original system?  Does this mean that I am locked into building a new system that is larger in capacity than the one I now have even if I don't need the space?

Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:14 PM

All replies

• Effectively, yes. While there is no built-in restriction that says you can only restore a volume image to a same sized or larger volume, the way NTFS uses clusters on a volume, in combination with the way Windows Home Server backs volumes up, generally means that you can't restore to a significantly smaller volume.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:21 PM