Vista bluescreens while trying to activate RRS feed

• Question

• I recently replaced the motherboard in my home computer running Windows Vista Business (x64). After reinstalling Windows I was prompted to activate. When I attempted to activate the system said my key was already in use and I needed to contact Microsoft. So far, nothing unexpected.

When I contacted Microsoft they gave me the long string of numbers I needed for activation and then told me to click "Next" on the activation wizard. When I clicked "Next", my system bluescreened. I told the person that I was talking to about this and they immediately said "Thank you for calling Microsoft, have a nice day" and hung up.

After my system rebooted it said that an unauthorized change was made to Windows and I was in limited functionality mode. All I could use was Internet Explorer 7 to get to these forums and the system said my copy of Windows was not Genuine.

After rebooting again the system asked me for my product key, which I entered, and the system was able to activate.

Are these symptoms normal for Vista when making hardware changes? I guess I am posting this out of frustration, panic, and intrigue.

My system appears to be functioning normal now...I just wat to know if I should expect this in the future too, or if I had an abnormal problem.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:34 PM

Answers

• Hello dwboley,

No that is not normal, but since you are not currently experiencing the issue, I can not troubleshoot it. So at this point I am unable to tell you why it happened. I do not forsee this happening again, but that is uncertain.

In the future, if you experience any issue while Activating or Validating, don't hesitate to post again and we will try to fix the issue.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:17 PM

All replies