Overall comments on the forums RRS feed

• General discussion

• Not impressed...at all.

Not to offend, but Microsoft has yet once again gone for flash versus substance. I have found the prefomance to be lackluster, the search is abysmal, and just basic things that should be here are lacking.

For example, I tried to post and got the error "post must be between 4 and 60000 characters. My post was substantially less than 60,000 characters? What gives?

Also, when doing a search, I searched on terms that I knew were there (seeing as how I created the post). I got zero results back.

On another occasion, I spent at least fifteen minutes writing a question. When I clicked submit, it just disappeared. Much to my dismay, that was not the last ime that has happened to me.

And FORGET about trying to cut and paste any SQL code into a posting. I have tried to paste SQL code as small as two or three lines and the forums site CONTINUALLY just does nothing. No error, no warning, nothing. In a word, I really think this new forum interface is horrible. Unfortunately, it's the only way to post a question, unless someone out there is aware of a method one can still post to the forum without having to go through this interface...

The forums are a great place to get your questions answered and issues resolved - when the mechanism actually works.

You should have stuck with the old format. Might not have been "pretty", but at least it was dependable.
    A. M. Robinson
    • Edited by ansonee Tuesday, October 28, 2008 7:21 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:32 AM "comments on the forums" added to the subject
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• For me the new forums are generally easier to use than the old ones -- far fewer page refreshes in particular.

I also disliked the appearance initially, but I have gotten used to it (it has in fact been toned down somewhat).

The composition window is, I would agree, a complete disaster. There are so many things wrong with it, I would not even know where to start. [Well, maybe I would start with some outright bugs with the font/size drop-downs when used in FireFox or SeaMonkey...] This was indeed much better in the old forums. Since the composition window is (presumably) a stand-alone component, I would just scrap it and start over.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Sorry to hear you don't like the new forums. We are listening to feedback and actively working to address it. Search improvements in particuar are coming in the near future. Please post an y specific bugs (such as the editor bugs you mention above) to the bugs forum.

Thanks,
    -Andrew

Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:08 AM