none
Question about using different versions of SyncToy on three computers that all share common destination drives RRS feed

• Question

• I've successfully used the 32 bit version of SyncToy 2.0 on three home computers for a few years.  Two of the computers were desktops running XP and one was a laptop running VISTA.  All three machines had 32 bit versions of the OS.  I have several external backup drives and I used SyncToy 2.0 to backup the data files from each computer to these external drives.  The final result is that on each external drive, I have data files from Desktop1, Desktop2, and the Laptop, all of which were populated using SyncToy 2.0 on the respective computers.

The computer scenario has now changed however, as has the versions of SyncToy being used and I'd like to verify SyncToy can handle it.  In the new scenario I have the following:

* One desktop with the 32 bit version of SyncToy 2.0 and the 32 bit version of XP.

* One laptop with the 32 bit version of SyncToy 2.1 and the 32 bit version of VISTA.

* One laptop with the 64 bit version of SyncToy 2.1 and the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Once again, my goal is to have data files from each of the three machines on each external backup drive.

i.e.  Each backup drive will have data files from the XP desktop using the 32 bit version of SyncToy 2.0, PLUS data files from the VISTA laptop using the 32 bit version of SyncToy 2.1, PLUS data files from the Windows 7 laptop using the 64 bit version of SyncToy 2.1.

Can SyncToy handle this?     (NOTE:  There are no servers involved.)

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:59 PM