Windows 2003/Windows Home Server ATI drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I have an ATI chipset (RS485) motherboard in my Windows Home Server and when installing drivers the WDM drivers fail and lock up the install. After some research I see that ATI doesn't release 2003 drivers. The XP and Vista drivers don't work, and I tried it in compatibility mode without luck. I even tried the Omega drivers without luck.

I really want drivers for my integrated video card and the biggest thing is that I installed a TV Wonder 550 to stream TV over Orb 2.0, but as with the video drivers, they wil not install either.

Does anyone have a way to install drivers (and for the TV Wonder 550) for Windows Home Server a.k.a. Windows 2003 SP2. I would think that Omega or one of the other driver mods could mod the drivers to work on Win2003.

Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 3:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• My Home Server Rig uses a Radeon X700 and I have the driver in there without a problem.  The catalyst software dosent work with 2003 but everything with the driver is fine.  I used the XP driver from the ATI website.  You might want to try installing your ati driver in Windows XP Compatibility mode.  You can do that by right clicking the installer selecting the compatability tab. Click the Run this program in compatibility mode checkbox and select windows xp
    apply and save
    then retry the installation.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 4:51 PM
  • I tried compatibility mode, as my previous post said, but with no luck. 
    I'm using the newest cat 7.6's.  Everything in the driver installs EXCEPT for the WDM driver. It even installs the Southbridge drivers ok. It locks up and won't respond.  After I kill it, it will finish installing the rest of the package. But since the WDM's don't install, CCC won't load and the device manager still says standard VGA driver.  This is the same problem with the TV 550 driver, in which the tv settings install will give errors that it can't install certain dll files. 

I have noticed that some people are able to install drivers without problems while people like me can't.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Can you post the log file?
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 6:02 PM
  •  DarkBrokenHeartz wrote:
    Can you post the log file?

What log file do you need and where is it located?
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 6:19 PM
  •  Turks wrote:
    DarkBrokenHeartz wrote:
    Can you post the log file?

What log file do you need and where is it located?

Sometimes devices generated log files in the root folder of your os, if not, look in the "event viewer" in your admin. tools for the error.

My best.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 6:42 PM
  • I uninstalled all the drivers, and ran driver cleaner. I deleted the ATI folder on the C drive. After a restart I started the ATI 7.6 installer and just extracted the drivers, then canceled the install. I browsed to the folder and went into the WDM folder and ran it in Windows XP compatibility mode. When I tell it to install, one second later it tells me it installed and to restart. Now it's obvious that it didn't installed. I went into the ATI folder but see no logs, and I went into Event Viewer and there are no errors in any of the categories that happened at the time I installed it.

Even taking off compatibility mode, it does the same thing, though it usually froze.

Note: I also reinstalled Dx 9.0c

Sunday, July 8, 2007 2:02 PM
  • I have an AIW9600 that I posted about in another thread that also has this issue. The catalyst drivers install ok, but the WDM driver lockup the install. I couldn’t find anyway to get them to install.

Monday, July 9, 2007 10:41 PM
  • I think I am in the same boat as you guys. I am experience the exact same problems. I have a All-In-Wonder 9600 series ATI graphiccard and I am completely unable to install the driver for this device (including the Omega driver). There doesn’t seem to be any way to make this work

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:47 AM
  • I've got a vanilla ATI Radeon 9600 in the WHS-machine, and ATI/AMD's latest XP driver installed just fine.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 8:37 AM
  • Hi Christian,

I'm getting ready for a fresh install with a All-In-Wonder 9600 card on a Windows 2003 server box. Can you please let me know a little more details on how you were able to get it to work? Such as what driver did you use? What settings did you have to use? Any details would be appreciated because I can't find out a lot on the net.

Thanks!

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Your best bet is to install the display driver only, available from the ATI/AMD site. Catalyst, the WDM driver, and the multimedia software are unlikely to work on WHS.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:00 AM
  •  jdog_12345 wrote:

Hi Christian,

I'm getting ready for a fresh install with a All-In-Wonder 9600 card on a Windows 2003 server box. Can you please let me know a little more details on how you were able to get it to work? Such as what driver did you use? What settings did you have to use? Any details would be appreciated because I can't find out a lot on the net.

Thanks!

Sorry jdog, didn't notice your post until I checked under "My threads".

One mistake is on me; it's a Radeon 9500, not a 9600. My bad.

And I just popped it in during hardware build and WHS gave it the regular VGA-driver.

It works just fine with that driver, and as it is supposed to be run headless, it's all good to go.

But I also installed the official drivers from AMD/ATI support site later, just like Ken suggested.

No problems.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:34 AM
  • Windows\system32\drivers

• In this directory consist the default VGA drivers window will try to make your AGP card use rename them.
    The two files to look for are:
    1. vga.sys
    2. vgapnp.sys
    • While renaming the files keep this folder open and yes windows will put these files back in there original form but who cares once your finished it want matter.

Rename them to something like "vgapnp.sys.nuisance and vga.sys.nuisance" yes I know they're not people but these are annoying files.

Keep these files in view open up Device manager (DM) and under Display adapters select Standard VGA Display or whatever it used to say choose properties select Driver and then choose Update Driver next select from the three options "No, not this time" next choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" next choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" next choose from the list your graphic card name.  It will exist in the list of drivers not digitally signed if you installed the drivers before hand upon an attempt to install them and DM did not pick them up.  If they don't exist just choose Have Disk and find them on your CD or where ever the location you've placed your video drivers.

You can also try performing an Uninstall of the standard drivers and then installing the necessary drivers from your equipment CD.  There are several combinations you can try to accomplish getting windows to see the video cards correct drivers.  I tried these steps on all of the cards mention here and on newer models all of which were successful.  Currently, not sure why but I have a box setup with Windows Server 2003 using an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT card and it does a wonderful job also.  Don't worry about it saying not digitally signed and try turning on themes.

• The goal is to trick DM into thinking those two drivers do not exist for a brief moment before windows puts them back into play so you can accomplish getting DM to pick up your needed drivers.

Be careful!

Christopher
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Hey Ken Warren,
         Catalyst will work but too much work!  The rest of the drivers do work with just minimal effort needed I posted direction as a How To.  Try using the older drivers that came with your CD first before the newer versions because Windows does not seem to like the newer packaged 9600 / 9500 series or X600 series and etc...  It seems to want to reject them for some reason or throws up an exclamation point... if you see one next to the Standard VGA driver that is a good thing immediately replace it with the one you want to use.

Later, later,

Christopher
    • Edited by Ghost Walker Friday, February 20, 2009 11:02 AM Details were left out, excuse me
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:58 AM