can't restore from backup, can't open backups RRS feed

• Question

• From all the posts it looks like this problem has been going on for years.  I try to open a backup and it stops at 81% and "cannot mount volume".  In addition, on Win 7 I get message that the "disk" needs to be formated.

I have PP3 and everything is up to date.  I've tried to open the backups on 3 different clients with no success.  I am desparate to get this data.  Is there any resolution?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:50 PM

All replies

• If you have a spare drive that's as large as the drive with the backup you're trying to restore, you could try restoring using the Restore CD or (better) C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\clientrestorewizard.exe, which is the same tool hosted in a full Windows environment.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Also I would recommend to register at Microsoft Connect and issue a bug report - since these problems have occured in the past and have often be associated with some driver related miscommunication. Evaluating the bugs helped the team to fix many of the related issues, so that the problem is much less often appearing now.

Do you have a special security suite on the client and the server? If so, it may be worth a try to disable/uninstall this temporary to exclude any bad influence here.

Date, time and time zone of client and server are matching?
    Any related errors in the event log of the client or the server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:18 PM