Windows Delayed Write Failure while removing a Bad Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I was getting an error message on my laptop that one of my drives was failing. I also noticed that while I was streaming some videos that they would cut out and stop. WHS said my drives were ALL healthy. Upon rebooting my server, it would not reboot and hung up with a SMART hard drive failure message. I also used the Western Digtal utility and it confirmed that the drive was failing.I sent for a replacement drive. I added the new drive with no problems. When I went to remove the bad drive so I could return it, it said it would take several hours to move all the data. Well its been 12 hours now and its still going. These error messages pop up that say data will be lost because of  a" Windows Delayed Write Failure " I click on it and it goes away.I have gotten at this point more than a hundred messages. I dont think  I am more than 10% complete. I think if I am not there to click on the error message to remove it , the computer isnt doing anything. At this rate it might take a couple of weeks to remove the drive. I supposedly can not stop the process once I have started it. What do I do? What can I do?

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:36 AM

All replies

• Its been almost 24 hours now. I seem to be in just about the same spot as 12 hours ago. I am home now from work and I am clicking on the Delayed Write error messages. Some progress is being made. The names of files that are lost are changing, otherwise I am still 10% in/done.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 4:50 PM
  • I left for work today, its Monday morning now and its still going. Hundreds of error message " delayed write failure ". I think I am at 12% now. WHS says I have to wait. Can I stop the drive removal process? What would the consequences be? If I do , what should I do then? Any suggestions? Help!!!

Monday, January 9, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Hi , My server has been down since January. It crashed and I have a bad drive. Got a replacement drive from Western Digital, still have the bad one with my data on it. Any suggestions on how to reinstall the server software??? Install with or with out original bad drive or with bad drive and new replacement drive , then try to remove bad drive and hope WHS moves data onto the new drive??? (if possible)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:38 PM
  • ... still have the bad one with my data on it. ...

Based on everything you wrote above, you will almost certainly not be able to recover anything useful off the failed drive on your own. If you don't have any backups of your server, this unfortunately means that you will lose the data on that drive.

If you have data on your server that's really valuable to you (business records, for instance), you might be able to recover some/most of the data by sending the drive out to a data recovery firm. There's no guarantee that everything will be recovered, or anything at all; it really depends on why the drive failed. And making the attempt is expensive; you may pay upwards of $1,000 for them to even attempt recovery.

Honestly, unless you have irreplaceable data on that drive, I would simply write it off and reinstall on the new drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 12, 2012 2:15 PM
  • I can access the drive. I have this nice software that can access the drive even if it does not show up in My Computer. Its called UFS Explorer Pro.

The bad drive shows up on my Windows 7 machine in my computer,its 1.5 TB in size, it says almost a 1 TB is used , except when I  open it the folder is empty. Again this is not a problem because I have UFS Pro.

My questions were these:

What is the proper way to reinstall WHS so as not to loose any more data?

Can I or should I when I reinstall WHS with BOTH the new replacement drive and the old bad drive. I was thinking if I did it might be easier to access the data and move it off the old drive. Or will I just repeat January all over again?

Thanx for your help.

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:11 PM
  • If you have a tool which will let you get at the files on the drive, then install on a new drive, without the old drive connected to the server. Go through the server setup process, add clients, create users, etc. Then connect the old drive to some computer other than your server and copy to the server's shares. Then discard the drive; if S.M.A.R.T. says the drive has failed, you can't count on it even if some software tool indicates it was able to get the drive working again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:28 PM