none
Network health at risk; service not starting -- separate or linked problems? Solutions? RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I received help with an installation problem (Thanks again!).  Now I have WHS installed but am running into a couple of new problems.  I don't know whether they are separate or linked.

What I did before the problems arose:
    - After a successful (as far as I can tell) installation of WHS and the Connector software, I transferred my media files from an external USB drive to the server
    - For the first 140gb or so there were no troubles, but for the last 4gb or so some errors cropped up.  Read on...

Problem #1: Network health at risk
    - The music shared folder is indicated as "failing (check health)"
    - Both the Shared Storage tab and the Disk Management add-in show the drive as "healthy"
    - Clicking the "Network at Risk" button and reading the details, it says that there are "conflicts" involving 15 files in 8 subdirectories
    - The event log says that the "hash map cannot be updated"

What I did then:
    - I read a forum post saying that the "hash map" error is not a big deal (then how do I get rid of it?)
    - Ran chkdsk, and no errors or bad sectors were reported
    - Tested a couple of the files by playing them in WMP from the Shared Music folder, and they seemed fine (seeming to confirm the no-big-deal story)
    - Deleted the files in question anyway and copied them again into the Shared Music folder
    - In the meantime, WHS apparently had also installed a few updates, and so I restarted the system

Problem #1 is joined by Problem #2:
    - After restarting, Connector still shows "Network at risk" and the same folder and files with the same problem (supposedly)
    - Now on restart WHS says that a service could not start; after a second reboot it said so again
    - Looking at Event Viewer, I think the new problem is this:

The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\aspperf.dll" for the
    "ASP" service does not match the trusted performance library information
    stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated
    as trusted.

So, the files that seemed to signal a failing network seem to be fine, but Connector still says the network and the Shared Music folder in particular are not healthy.  And now in the course of trying to solver that problem a new one has arisen.  What's going on here?  Is the Network healthy?  If so, how do I get Connector to say that it is in order that the alerts be meaningful when an actual problem arises?  If it is not healthy, what do you think the issue is?

Thanks!

John
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:54 PM

All replies

• A correction about Problem #2, the service not starting.  I took a closer look at the event logs, and I think the one I listed above was not the one that WHS was alerting me to.  (I had been looking only in the Application events.)  The System events show the following error:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." attempting to start the service WHSTransportService with arguments ""
    in order to run the server:
    {3AA6FAC6-558C-4A4A-A60A-AC40B048C393}

I can't say this is anything more meaningful to me than what I posted above.  Can someone help?

Thanks again,

John
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Hi John,
    how did you perform the copy from the external USB drive?
    Did you copy the files to \\server\share (the UNC path) or to D:\shares\share?
    If the later, this will mess up with drive extender and duplication, since in that folder is no real data stored, just tombstones. If you now copy data to that folder, Drive Extender doesn't know, how to handle this and shows the red flag. If you did so, revert and remove the files from that location again.

Which version numbers has your WHS? All 2030.x?
    If you login to your server, type services.msc in Start/Run and check the status of Windows Home Server Transport Service, is that started? If not, what are the properties?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, June 29, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Yikes!  You're right, I used D: rather than \\server\share for the initial file transfer -- but why would it show errors for only 0.01% of the files?  Also, when I deleted the "problem" files and replaced them with new copies, this time I did go through \\server\share, but the "Network health at risk" message did not go away (same files show the same error).  Now, are you recommending that I also delete the 99.99% that did not show an error and start the process again from the beginning?

Danke (aus Maine)

John

Monday, June 29, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Yikes!  You're right, I used D: rather than \\server\share for the initial file transfer -- but why would it show errors for only 0.01% of the files?  Also, when I deleted the "problem" files and replaced them with new copies, this time I did go through \\server\share, but the "Network health at risk" message did not go away (same files show the same error).  Now, are you recommending that I also delete the 99.99% that did not show an error and start the process again from the beginning?

Danke (aus Maine)

John

First, is it telling you that specific files are a problem when you go to the details of the warning message?  If so, start by deleting those through the network share path, then reboot your server (which forces a DE pass).  If it comes back healthy, copy the data back to the server through the network shares, then reboot it again.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Well, things didn't go quite as smoothly as I hoped.  First, to answer the last question, it did list 15 files in 8 subdirectories specifically as problems.  Here is what happened:

1. As I described above, I deleted those specific files via the share path and put new copies of the files back, again via the share path.  After rebooting, the same problems remained.

2. I decided to clean out the whole Music Share folder, and once empty and after rebooting again, the network and that directory were "healthy."

3. I copied all of the files back into the Music Share folder via the share path, careful not to do it via D: again.  The first file that had caused a problem last time caused a problem again, and so I canceled the rest of the file transfers before additional errors cropped up.  Due to that one file/error, the network is now "at risk" and the Music Share folder is "failing."

One thing all of the files have in common is that somehow when I first purchased them from eMusic, the file name copied to my computer read some version of "VARIOU~1" (for example, if the artist was listed as "Various Artists" on a collection) instead of having the usual combination of band name, album name and track number that the other files have.  As I said in my original post, in other respects all the files seem fine and play correctly.  In fact, until I tried transferring them I had never noticed a problem with them.  Also, they are far from the only files with the "~#" filename, although only these 15 caused the problem, apparently.

Any other ideas?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Let me add to that list:

4. I just now deleted the subdirectory (via the share path) containing the file that caused the problem in #3 but kept all the other files in Music Share that had transferred intact.  I then rebooted.  The network and the Music Share folder are now both "healthy," apparently confirming that the problem had something to do with that file.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:08 AM
  • Let me add to that list:

4. I just now deleted the subdirectory (via the share path) containing the file that caused the problem in #3 but kept all the other files in Music Share that had transferred intact.  I then rebooted.  The network and the Music Share folder are now both "healthy," apparently confirming that the problem had something to do with that file.

Did you try renaming the file (and get rid of the ~ in the name)?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:25 AM
  • It's getting late where I am and so will finish this tomorrow.  The early indication is that renaming is working.  I deleted the 15 files and rebooted, and the network was "healthy" once again.  I have renamed two files and copied them to the proper subdirectory in the Music Share folder, and so far still "healthy".  What is odd, however, is that these are far from the only files with a "~" in the name, yet only these 15 caused errors.  If there is an explanation for why that would be, I could better avoid this problem in the future.

(By the way, it appears after all this that my having copied the files to the D:\shares directories rather than to \\server\shares did not cause the errors I saw.  But I do understand now why that is not recommended practice.)

Thanks again,

John
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Final update from the next day:

After deleting the 15 files, copying the renamed versions back to the Music Shares folder and rebooting the system, the network is indeed "healthy" again.  I have to think this is a bug in WHS, however, unless someone has a better explanation:

- It turned out that transferring these files to D:\shares vs. \\server\shares made no difference in this case
    - Many files had a file name like "ABCDEF~1" but only these 15 caused a problem
    - It is not an NTFS issue because the files never caused a problem on previous XP-based machines with NTFS drives
    - The files themselves were fine, both before an after the renaming, it's just that WHS was fussy about the former names

Very odd, but I'm glad the network is happy again.

Thanks again for the time and assistance from Olaf and Kariya.

John
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:02 PM