Migrate CRM 2011 on-premise to CRM Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking to migrate our installation of CRM 2011 (on-premise) to CRM Online with all the data intact. Having reviewed a number of different options offered by Microsoft and third-parties, I just wanted to log some feedback and see if anyone else has experienced similar issues.

My understanding is that there is no capability to upload a database backup to CRM Online (for security reasons). The CRM Instance Adapter can be used but it's not a straight-forward process (especially if you're not an expert in how CRM works "under the hood"). Exporting to CSV then importing into the online instance may not transfer all data (e-mail attachments, etc.) and there may be issues preserving links between records. Third-party tools and services can help but there are costs involved (and these are often significant). Hosted CRM solutions from third-parties also appear quite costly in comparison to CRM Online.

Am I the only person hitting these barriers to entry for CRM Online? My current thinking is that we'll have to stick with on-premise until Microsoft allow database uploads. I understand why they don't currently but I would guess that it is stopping many potential adopters from moving to CRM Online.

If anyone has had similar experiences and / or has suggestions for how to proceed I'd be very interested to hear them.

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I think you've summarised it pretty well!

1) Export/Import CSV  (this works well apart from N:N relationships and Activity Party Lists) - you can use Andrii's tool to import N:N (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=f&rct=j&url=http://a33ik.blogspot.com/2012/07/n-to-n-importexport-webresource.html&q=&esrc=s&ei=Ex8IUa_9H6O80QXz14DgAQ&usg=AFQjCNF8j3fXdrj327o4gfMUWoJuXnOyAg

2) Use the CRM Instance Adaptor (I wouldn't recommend this since it's quite hard to setup and get running for lots of entities)

3) Third Party Tool (like Script or Synchroncity Echo (http://www.synchronicity-systems.co.uk/echo/) - Echo certainly seems to be the simplest and easiest option and is incredibly cheap considering what it does (£1675 per org migration)

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Scott,

Thanks for your comments. It does strike me that these paths are not optimal for existing small / medium business users of "on-premise" CRM 2011 and that Microsoft should consider further work to make the migration to CRM Online easier for existing customers.

If anyone from Microsoft is following this thread, I'd be grateful if you could feed back some of these comments and look into providing database upload capabilities as part of the platform so that customers can quickly and easily get up and running in the cloud. For the moment, we'll have to stick with our "on-premise" installation which is a real shame.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:19 AM
  • We've still not migrated to CRM Online yet (but are currently trialling Synchronicity Echo). The lack of a simple (and cost-free) migration path is a significant blocker for us. Microsoft really needs to address this gap in functionality in my view.

Friday, June 7, 2013 8:11 AM