User rights confusion RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a pc with WinHomeServer.  I created a user account under my first name.  I checked the boxes to give me rights to do anything with the shared folders like music and videos.  The part I cannot figure out is the server will not let me copy new files to these folders from another computer when I am logged on the other computer using the same username and password as I have recorded on the server.  For some reason the only way I seem to be able to copy files to the server is if I am logged on the server as administrator. 

What am I doing wrong.  I am use to taking a folder on Windows 2000 server and making it shared and setting the permissions and security to give whoever access to it.  I tried doing this manually in WinHomeServer and it seemed different and I could not figure it out.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 12:21 PM

All replies

• I've not had that problem - your WHS is not participating in a domain, is it? Yeah, don't mess with the ACLs!

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 12:52 PM
  • What OS do you have on the client computer? There is an issue sometimes with OEM machine, when you set them up out of the box, they create a user profile called owner, or sometimes administrator, and then just changes the logon name to xxxxx, whatever you enter in the setup wizard. In this case, WHS will see the user profile name, not the logon name. If it is XP Home edition, the only way to tell is look in c:\documents and settings\users and see what the user folders are named. In XP Pro or MCE you can open administrative tools/computer managment and find the user settings in the local users settings and change the user profile name. In home edition, all you can do is create a new user, as the names owner and administrator are reserved on WHS and can't be used as a user name. Its a little confusing, there are posts in the feedback on the Connect site about this problem. I don't know if anything was done in RTM to fix.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:31 PM
  •  

You have to be logged in on the client PC with a user account that you have configured at the WHS console. If you do not do that, then WHS cannot tell who is attempting to log in/access the shares.  Windows will supply the currently logged in account credentials of the box you are on to WHS, without regard as to whether or not the account exists. Since you may be logged into an account on the client PC that is not on the server, the WHS doesn't recognize the user and doesn't allow any access.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 2:38 PM
  • On both the Server and Client I have an accout setup using my first name.  The server is not part of a Domain but both computers are part of a Workgroup under the same name.  At first using the client I had an automatic login using the same info.  I seem to be able to do anything but write to the server shared folders under my username.  I checked the server and it tells me that my user has rights to do anything but each time I try to copy a file from the client to the server through My Network Places I get an error.  For some reason if I am logged on the client as the administrator and the server administrator has the same administrator password then I can copy files to the server folders. 

I am confused because according to the server the user account under my name can do anything.  But it will not let me write to the shared folders.  I seem to be able to do anything else.  This is why I am stumped what the problem is and what I can do to correct the problem.  I just installed WHS last week on a new PC build I did.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry if I ask this, but did you done the permissions issue for each account on the whs console users tab?

And that user/password match the client user/password?

My best.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Can you give me some more info:

1) is there an icon for WHS in your taskbar-and if so what color is it?

2) did the connector install place an icon on your desktop(on the cient) for your shared folders? If so try to access and write to the folders that way instead of network places

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:32 PM
  •  Phil Slates wrote:

On both the Server and Client I have an accout setup using my first name.  The server is not part of a Domain but both computers are part of a Workgroup under the same name.  At first using the client I had an automatic login using the same info.  I seem to be able to do anything but write to the server shared folders under my username.  I checked the server and it tells me that my user has rights to do anything but each time I try to copy a file from the client to the server through My Network Places I get an error.  For some reason if I am logged on the client as the administrator and the server administrator has the same administrator password then I can copy files to the server folders. 

I am confused because according to the server the user account under my name can do anything.  But it will not let me write to the shared folders.  I seem to be able to do anything else.  This is why I am stumped what the problem is and what I can do to correct the problem.  I just installed WHS last week on a new PC build I did.

Does the user you have created on the client computer have a password set? If it is still automatically logging in when you turn on the computer, it may not have a password set.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:19 PM
  • I had this problem also.  Did you re-boot the Server?  After I did everything worked ok.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:37 PM
  • I rebooted the server and have the same result.  The Windows Home Server icon on my client computer is green.  I only have one user setup on my client and it is the same as my first name which is the same as the only user other than client I have setup on the server.  When I reboot my client it loads for my user to enter the password which matches my users server password.  I can view the shared folders just fine but cannot delete or copy new files to it. For some reason I cannot access my users folder on the server.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:20 AM
  • I'm wondering if Shared Folder Access for your user account is set to Read or Full.

From the client computer:

1. Launch the Connector

2. Click the User Accounts button

3. Right-click your User > select Properties > select the Shared Folder Access tab 

5. Verify that all settings are set to 'Full'

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:32 AM
  • I do not know what the problem was but I got it solved by deleting the profile on the xp machine and creating another one using the same username.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 3:06 PM
  • Phil, if deleting and recreating the user fixed the issue, it's likely that the problem was a mismatch between the user's login id and the user's display name. With Windows XP or Vista, when you use the User Accounts applet to change a user's name, you're not changing the login id, just the display name. For example, say you have a PC with a user named "defaultuser" configured from the factory. You can change that user's name in User Accounts to be "Phil", but behind the scenes, it still logs in as "defaultuser".

WHS requires the user's login name to match on the server and clients, not the display name. It's possible to change the login name on XP or Vista, but your method is just as easy.
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 3:33 PM