Windows Activation required when restoring image to new drive using Client Restore Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Copying an existing image to a new larger hard drive for a laptop is convenient & fastest when using the Client Restore Wizard of the server PC. That is one attaches the 2.5" drive through a trayless SATA connection. An 80 GB image can be restored to a new SSD in under 15 minutes. The SSD can then be ejected from WHS2011 and installed in the laptop.

However, as fast and convenient as this is, I have to reactivate both WIN 7-64 and MS Office 2010 on the laptop which puts a damper on the restore process.

Q: If I were to restore the image on the laptop using a USB WHS2011 restore key would the activation remain intact, e.g. no reactivation needed? Note, the SSD changes from 80GB to 240 GB.

Thanks,

Kurt

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:40 PM

Answers

• Apparently, the WIN 7-64 I am restoring is an Enterprise version (group license) which has been further spiced up with lot of security patches, e.g. WIN 7-64 is non-standard. So restoring to a new hard drive requires reactivation no matter what so I am told.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, November 14, 2011 5:38 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 12:34 AM

All replies

• I have done that many times by your method and never had to reactivate Windows or Office. Photoshop though did require reactivation.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:59 PM
  • By design, restores should be run from a client. I'm honestly somewhat surprised that you can actually use ClientRestoreWizard on the server. :)

However, the need to reactivate is likely to be due to the change in HDD. In other words, restoring using the client and a bootable flash drive or optical disk is likely to result in the same behavior.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I actually had the original 80 GB SSD still present when I booted the 240 GB off the Compaq 6910p. 240 GB SSD was in the multi-bay. Perhaps WIN 7 (on the 240 GB SSD) sensed the two operaating systems using the same license still present... I will have to check & retry.

I have done disk cloning with Acronis 2011 Home Edition and I don't remember have to deal with reactivation.

The reason I like to run the restores off the server it off the server are the following:

1) The connection is SATA RAID 5 as opposed to a 1G network connection. So it will be a lot faster.

2) The Server is mostly idle anyway. So I was still able to get work done on my company laptop while the the image was restored to my new 240GB SSD.

3) Client Restore Wizard when run off a SSD is much faster the CR-ROM or USB on the laptoo.

Appreciate the comments,

Kurt

Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Apparently, the WIN 7-64 I am restoring is an Enterprise version (group license) which has been further spiced up with lot of security patches, e.g. WIN 7-64 is non-standard. So restoring to a new hard drive requires reactivation no matter what so I am told.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, November 14, 2011 5:38 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 12:34 AM