Unable to boot from WHS Restore Disc RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Compaq 2175US Laptop that is one of 4 computers that I have on my Windows Home Server network. It was purchased in 2003 and came with Windows XP Professional.  Since WHS was backing up all of my computers I thought I was safe and deleted my previous  backups I had made with other backup programs.  I should not have deleted them.  Turns out I have no way of restoring the WHS backups to this laptop now that I need them.   It will not boot from the CD/DVD drive with the current WHS restore disc inserted.

The laptop boots fine from other CD's such as my Windows XP Professional restore disc that came with it.  I also tried to boot from a Vista install disc and it boots just fine from that also.  Did not install Vista just tried to boot from it and then quit at the first screen.  If I take the WHS restore disc that I made  to one of my desktop computers it will boot just fine and comes up with a screen about how much memory the computer has that needs restored.

The boot order on the laptop is set as Removeable Devices, CD/DVD Drive, Hard Drive and Boot from LAN.

Any ideas how I can do a complete restore on this laptop?  Is there any other way to run the restore program?  If I could get the laptop to boot from a USB device or the CD/DVD drive I could do it.  So far have not had any luck with either.    Help!
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:16 AM

Answers

• No, restoring the system partition over the running system would not have worked (and doesn't get offered).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by djrees Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:22 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:57 PM

All replies

• djrees said:

I have a Compaq 2175US Laptop that is one of 4 computers that I have on my Windows Home Server network. It was purchased in 2003 and came with Windows XP Professional.  Since WHS was backing up all of my computers I thought I was safe and deleted my previous  backups I had made with other backup programs.  I should not have deleted them.  Turns out I have no way of restoring the WHS backups to this laptop now that I need them.   It will not boot from the CD/DVD drive with the current WHS restore disc inserted.

The laptop boots fine from other CD's such as my Windows XP Professional restore disc that came with it.  I also tried to boot from a Vista install disc and it boots just fine from that also.  Did not install Vista just tried to boot from it and then quit at the first screen.  If I take the WHS restore disc that I made  to one of my desktop computers it will boot just fine and comes up with a screen about how much memory the computer has that needs restored.

The boot order on the laptop is set as Removeable Devices, CD/DVD Drive, Hard Drive and Boot from LAN.

Any ideas how I can do a complete restore on this laptop?  Is there any other way to run the restore program?  If I could get the laptop to boot from a USB device or the CD/DVD drive I could do it.  So far have not had any luck with either.    Help!

Did you download and burn the new Dual Boot Restore CD?  If that is the one you are using, the only other real option would be to remove the hard drive and hook it up to another computer, then run the restore through that computer.  (And since you are using a laptop, you would probably need an enclosure that supports 2.5" laptop drives to connect it to the other computer.)
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:11 AM
  • Since it is a self made CD, could it be, that the CD drive in the laptop has difficulties reading this kind of CDs?
    If you can get the disk attached to another PC (which may require another adapter, since in 2003 SATA was rarely used and 2.5" IDE disks do not connect directly with normal PC IDE), you can run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from Program Files\Windows Home Server to restore the partition from within the running operating system.
    Sometimes you also get external adapters, which allow to connect such disks via USB, but not 100% sure, if the WHS restore accepts USB attached disks as target for restoring partitions.
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:11 AM
  • djrees said:

Try burning the CD at a very much lower speed - 4x or so.

qts
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 8:22 AM
  • Quentin Stephens said:

djrees said:

Try burning the CD at a very much lower speed - 4x or so.

qts

Thanks for the reply!

If the disc I made previously works (boots in other computers) how would burning at a lower speed change anything that would make the laptop boot from the new disc that is burned at the slower speeds?  I am willing to try it but I have my doubts that the result would be any different.  I just purchased some more CD's today so I have plenty of blanks now to try with. 
    • Edited by djrees Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:47 PM
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Since it is a self made CD, could it be, that the CD drive in the laptop has difficulties reading this kind of CDs?
    If you can get the disk attached to another PC (which may require another adapter, since in 2003 SATA was rarely used and 2.5" IDE disks do not connect directly with normal PC IDE), you can run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from Program Files\Windows Home Server to restore the partition from within the running operating system.
    Sometimes you also get external adapters, which allow to connect such disks via USB, but not 100% sure, if the WHS restore accepts USB attached disks as target for restoring partitions.
    Olaf

Thanks for the reply, 

Purchased an adapter today.  It is a 44 pin to 40 pin IDE adaptor.  I tried a 2.5 " IDE drive at work and it plugged into the 44 pin side just fine.  Hope when I get home I can hook the other side to the IDE connection in one of my desktop computers.  If that is possible then I will try the restore from there and hope that it can do a complete restore that will boot when I put it back in the laptop.   Wish me luck!
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:50 PM
  • djrees said:

Thanks for the reply!

If the disc I made previously works (boots in other computers) how would burning at a lower speed change anything that would make the laptop boot from the new disc that is burned at the slower speeds?  I am willing to try it but I have my doubts that the result would be any different.  I just purchased some more CD's today so I have plenty of blanks now to try with. 

If it works in other machines, I doubt burning at slower speeds will make much difference.  What will make a difference, however, is the dye color of the CDs.  I've seen perfectly good CDs work fine in some machines and not work in others.  When I burn the same image to a different CD (from a different manufacturer) that uses a different color dye in the CDs, it then works.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Since it is a self made CD, could it be, that the CD drive in the laptop has difficulties reading this kind of CDs?
    Olaf

This worked.  Thank you!  I purchased an adapter to hook my 2.5" IDE drive to the IDE in my desktop computers.  Unfortunately I did not have my glasses on at the time and only got half the pins plugged in on the 2.5" drive.  Must have damaged it.  Now the computer cannot recognize it at all. 

But the good news is I also purchased a 160 gig new 2.5" drive and did the restore to it from the desktop computer using the ClientRestoreWizard.exe program in the Program Files\Windows Home Server\ folder.  I had not done anything to the drive yet. The wizard had a choice that let me partition the drive.  I made a 100 gig partition as the original drive was a 100 gig drive all as one partition.  Did the restore to the new partition, installed the new drive back in the laptop and it booted up.  Had a few minor errors show up and had to reboot due to Windows XP recognizing the new drive as a new hardware device.   Thank you again for the information. 

If I had known about the location of the ClientRestoreWizard.exe program maybe I could have run this from the laptop and done the restore to the drive while it was still in the laptop.  I did not put it in my original post but I had installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Professional from the restore disc that came with the laptop to see if I could fix a problem I was having with installing service pack 3.  The new OS install did fix that problem but I needed to get back to my original software setup as there are a few programs and lots of data that I needed back.  I had already installed the WHS connector to the new OS install and did a WHS backup of the laptop with the new fresh OS installation.   Am I right in assuming that I could have done the restore over top of the OS that was on that drive?  Or would it have not allowed that as it would have to overwrite itself?
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:43 PM
  • No, restoring the system partition over the running system would not have worked (and doesn't get offered).
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by djrees Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:22 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:57 PM