The anti-virus updates just won't come. RRS feed

• Question

• Getting a bit fed up. Over the last week, my Vista PC got stuck for days on the same anti-virus definition version. My wife's laptop was the same (XP SP3.) All three machines at work (XP SP3) had exactly exactly the same problem - all stuck at version 1.37.465.0 as I recall.

Yes, a re-install (preceded by a cleanup, run as administrator) has updated everything. Then it gets stuck for days on the same AV definitions number again. My work machines are still on version 1.37.465.0, my wife's machine is now on 1.37.646.0, and I'm on 1.37.628.0. If I try "check for updates" they all say they are up to date.

When I run the repair tool on my Vista PC, it fails with first an error code 1332, and then error code 8023.

The only way to get up to date is consistently reinstalling OneCare. Not very practical.

I've been really pleased with the product up to now, but with all these unrelated PC's stuck at varions definition versions, what is going on? Is there some fundamental problem? It's interesting that there seems to be a recent FLOOD of similar threads being submitted - why is this?

I don't want to be told (a) de-install, cleanup, re-install nor (b) run the repair tool. We can't all be wrong about this, or imagining it either.

Grrrrrr.....

Steve.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 7:14 PM

Answers

• If OneCare says it is up to date and it is in green status, that is the latest definition that has been offered to you when OneCare checked. As I replied before, if they do not update for 10 days, which includes a server problem not updating the definitions for download, your status will go red.

I have not gotten any information to support my theory on the reasons for different definition versions for different operating systems and versions of OneCare and I don't know how definitions are deployed, so I will leave this thread unanswered for now. In the meantime, I recommend that you should trust the design of OneCare - which provides the simple "you're up to date" message when checking for updates. Chasing after signature and rule versions is only going to serve to frustrate you.

-steve

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:14 PM

All replies

• There have been a few reports of this issue but I don't know what the cause is. I will try to get more information on this and post back on monday.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:54 PM
  • I don't have an answer for why OneCare would report being up to date when another copy of OneCare shows later a/v definitions, but there may be several factors at play here.

1. If OneCare is in green status and not throwing an error about update problems, then it is reasonably up to date. if the definitions are more than 10 days old, OneCare will turn red, even if the latest offered definitions on the OneCare server are the problem.

2. Different version of OneCare and different environments might be the reason for the differences. If one PC was upted to 2.5 and another was on 2.0, the definitions may not match. Note that 2.5 was just released about a week or so back and was staged, made available, over a period of time to all users. If any PC is running the beta code of 2.5, it will no longer receive updated definitions.

Note that you really should not be reinstalling OneCare to get the latest definitions that you think should be offered to you. OneCare is designed to automatically update. As stated above, if there is a problem with obtaining updates, your status will turn red. Troubleshooting update issues should happen *after* your status is in red, not just based on comparing versions to another copy of OneCare on another PC.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Dear Steve,

My current configuration (OneCare tells me) is:

Now I have no idea if that is up to date or not. My wife's says 1.37.648.0 (as I recall, a bit ahead of mine) and the three XP machines have forced themselves forward to 1.37.572.0 I believe (or something in the 500's, but certainly still not up to date.) Those three machines did it on their own, not forced by "check for updates." It might be worth noting that all five machines are running 2.5.2900.03, which they downloaded automatically.

This is all very odd. All machines swear blind that they are up to date, when in all likelihood none of them are. The three at work have developed this problem entirely independently of the two in my house (as I never touch the OneCare installation there, I have just been checking the version numbers.)

Everyone on these forums is posting all sorts of stuff ALL related to this exact problem, that is that the anti-virus definition are constipated in some way and are not coming down to the users in a timely manner, if at all.

I fail to believe that nobody at Microsoft is experiencing this problem - it cannot just be a few users here and there. I also fail to believe that Microsoft don't know the cause.

This is a great pity because I have found it a really excellent product - but this is all rather like having a suspicion that the seatbelts in your car are not working properly..... you won't find out until the damage is done.

Come on now. I refuse to re-install for the fourth time, or indeed run the cleanup tool.

Steve.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:59 PM
  • If OneCare says it is up to date and it is in green status, that is the latest definition that has been offered to you when OneCare checked. As I replied before, if they do not update for 10 days, which includes a server problem not updating the definitions for download, your status will go red.

I have not gotten any information to support my theory on the reasons for different definition versions for different operating systems and versions of OneCare and I don't know how definitions are deployed, so I will leave this thread unanswered for now. In the meantime, I recommend that you should trust the design of OneCare - which provides the simple "you're up to date" message when checking for updates. Chasing after signature and rule versions is only going to serve to frustrate you.

-steve

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:14 PM