New install of WHS on HP Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help me get through the detection of the server?  I install the software and when the wizard looks for the server I get a message telling me that the server must not be connected to the network.  It clearly is.  The connector software seems not to be functioning.

I have a window that is for the Windows Home Server Connector (Please wait while the wizard finds your home server).  Then I get an error: This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later.  (I have been trying for two days) If the problem persists, please contact Windows Home Server Support.

Ideas?

Friday, October 31, 2008 7:16 AM

All replies

• Perhaps the WHS server isn't on the network (needs drivers?) or has a different Workgroup name than the rest of your network?

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Hi,
    I have a few questions to polish the crystal ball of error detection.
    • What do you mean with "new install"? Did you reinstall the server OS, or do you have a new server and just wish to attach the clients?
    • How is your network configured?
    • Do you have a router, which also acts as DHCP server?
    • Can you check (in the router), which IP address has been assigned to the Windows Home Server by DHCP?
    • Which operating system is installed on the client?
    • Open a command prompt and enter the command ipconfig /all. Post the output here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:18 PM
  • S_M_E said:

Perhaps the WHS server isn't on the network (needs drivers?) or has a different Workgroup name than the rest of your network?

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine

Workgroup name doesn't matter for WHS.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 12:36 PM
  • This is worth a try:

Get yourself an Ethernet "crossover cable". (Possibly a normal Ethernet cable will do; it depends on the network controller hardware at both ends and a crossover cable is certain to work.) Move your server next to the computer you want to use to restore it. Connect them using the crossover cable. Make sure that the computer you're running the recovery from isn't connected to any other networks (second adapter, wireless, etc.) then reboot it. Try again.

EDIT: Ignore the above; you're not trying to restore your server, though the title of the thread made me think so.

Try pinging your server by name (if it's new and you haven't been able to get through a single client install it will still be called HPSERVER). Do you get a response? And follow the debugging steps others have given as well. They probably won't resolve the issue by themselves, but hopefully will give enough information to figure out the problem.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

Have a look on your router home page and check that the server is getting an IP from your router. Also, if your Client is a Vista machine, does it have Network Discovery enabled.
    Also, as it's an HP server, pages 7-18 and 7-19 has some basic network info to confirm your system is set up correctly for WHS.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:51 PM