My Fourth Computer???? Why Three Limit ?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Oh yeah! I have four computers!!!!! What do I do about your three computer limit for Window  LIve OneCare?? I installed it in all of my four computers and am crossing my fingers... I am more than happy to pay extra for my fourth computer. How much more, sir?
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:55 PM

Answers

• At this point, you should not be losing a PC from your monitoring if you 4, so that is something you should contact suupport about - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

It is my understanding that a feature to allow monitoring of multiple subscriptions from a single hub is being evaluated for the future, but it is not likely to appear until after 2.0 is released.

-steve

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:28 PM

All replies

•  

It seems to bump one of my computers at any given time. Even my latest computer with Vista had trouble already..  Is it related to three computer limit??
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:56 PM
  • I'm not sure how multi-PC management would (or if it could) handle multiple subscriptions, but there is currently no way to buy a license to add another computer to a subscriptio. Your limit is 3. To add a 4th, you need another subscription that is activated with a second LiveID, which then gives you PC 4 through

-steve

Friday, July 27, 2007 1:40 AM
  • At this point, you should not be losing a PC from your monitoring if you 4, so that is something you should contact suupport about - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

It is my understanding that a feature to allow monitoring of multiple subscriptions from a single hub is being evaluated for the future, but it is not likely to appear until after 2.0 is released.

-steve

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:28 PM
  •  

I guess it is on a honor system. I wont push my luck with a fifth or sixth computer. It is just that I mindlessly accumulated four computers over the years. I cannibalized parts from computer to computer and buy new parts from time to time often. I still have a AMD K6-2 266mhz with 256mb edo with Windows 98 as my fifth computer for my old MS DOS games that I will never connect to the mean ol' Internet again ever!  Actually, only one of my computers can be logged at any given time because I dont use a router. I use Cisco NetGear XE-102 bridge adapters that is plugged in my house wiring system  and a DSL modem without router . I just upgraded to a DSL router , but i guess as long as a limit of 3 computers will be allowed to be logged concurrently no matter how many computers i have. Am I right? So , maybe, there needs to be a clarification on that limit of 3 computers. So users will know that they can buy more computers and observe the limit . It will help with computer sales, huh? Duh?
    Friday, July 27, 2007 11:46 PM
  • The main reason I have four computers is that I had been hacked, malwared, spywared, adwared, slimed, whatever. I just dont have time to fix computers as I can just move to another computer and continue working or playing while fixing the affected computer(s). No security program worked well for me until I came to Windows Live OneCare which seems to work so far. So much for computing experience!! I have four computers because I just grabbed a free case and powersupply with full rebate 100% and put one of my old Mobo in it and reuse many parts. I never planned on foursome. I look forward to the day that will come when I can feel secure enough to rely on a single computer without any care!!

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:55 PM
  • LOL! I have a load of computers here, too, simply because I'm a nut. I am running 3 with a OneCare subscription and my wife's PC is on its own subscripton. I have a physical machine and a Virtual PC running the 2.0 beta. Theree are 3 PCs upstairs, one is running a beta of Windows Home Server, no antivirus yet, one is a recent purchase (eBay) that needs to be wiped as their is no OS license with it, and the other is just for beta testing right now. I have two other physical machines using Avast for antivirus right now.

As for the more than 3 on a subscription - yes, today it would appear that it is the honor system, but that is not likely to last. With the appearance of multi-PC management in 2.0 I believe we are not too far off from the activation server keeping track of your subscription and perhaps an online view of your subscribed PCs like we see on the hub PC today.

-steve

Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:58 AM
  • Your solution (or Microsoft) is odd considering the alternative of using subscription methods that are more popular, not to mention easier to deploy, such as single user license, upgraded to 3-system license (current), being upgraded to multiple user license-- all of which could be tied to one LiveID.  At the moment, I have 7 systems, of which only 3 are protected with WLOC and the others use AVG.  Why?  Why would I want 3 separate LiveID's?  That's incredible that Microsoft has not shown foresight to create larger group license packages.

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:41 PM
  •  

I installed OneCare on all of my 4 computers , anyway. Why?  I figure that MIcrosoft will allow you to install in any number of computers as long as a limit of 3 computers are are concurrently operated. It means Microsoft is paid to look and protect up to three computers in any given time even if you have 10 computers with seven turned off and three turned on and you will do fine. That is how I see ...So I solved my problem on my own. So much for your help! Thanks anyway.  Microsoft can boost to 4 or 5 limit and I dont see why not, anyhow.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Somewhere in the forum is a response from Microsoft on this very topic - it hinted at the future ability to add licenses to the LiveID.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Thanks Steve for your timely reply (twice now).

Brettze, I did install WLOC on all 7 systems and unfortunately 4 of them did not 'take,' indicating that the subscription had 'expired' and I knew why (3 system restriction).  Many hours and days later, I surrendered and uninstalled WLOC.  There was no way I was going to subscribe to WLOC under three different LiveID's.  Safe to say, I boast about WLOC to all my associations and friends, especially if they have Microsoft OS, but I tolerate AVG on my 4 least critical systems in the meantime.

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Man! I think I have accumulated about 8 computers on my subscription. This is because like so many of you, I cycle through new PCs and laptops (and so do my kids) and we don't remember to uninstall WLOC. Is there any way I can see all of the PCs in my subscription from my desktop at work - where I can't/don't use WLOC? I worked my way through the different WLOC service links and can't find anything that will show me what I have already registered.

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:16 PM
  • I dont have a router so I probably am different than yours if you have a router.  I usually use one computer at any given time because I cant use more than one as my modem is for single line only. I use Cisco Netgear Powerline bridge adapters that allows me to connect as many computers to my single modem as I damn please, oh ( I think 16 limit, sorry)  it is called xe-102 and it is popular and it is faster than the old models. Come to think about how much you have made in contibution  to the global warming. Try to turn off computers if you dont really need them , anyway. I always want to have only one computer but I keep on getting hacked and slimed all the times. I figure that the rest of the security makers are up to no good as they probably dont have complete access to the vaunted Microsoft microcode. I figure that OneCare is completely microcoded and more robust than McAffee and Norton and PCtools or whatever. Microsoft is trying to align itself to Apple which has a pretty closed system. I guess Microsoft has a right to do that as long as Apple is getting away with it. OneCare is one solid security program and I am happy now. It is not worth using any competitior's security software because they sucks , anyway.  Just stuck to three computers in use for awhile until the limit is raised soon.  Norton and McAfee , you have hackers to blame not Microsoft.

Am I right, duh?
    Monday, August 27, 2007 6:25 PM
  • I don't actually have 8 active PCs. Most of them are stale; they are machines that we recycled or trashed. I want to look at my subscription to find and remove the stale machines. I want to know if I can view PCs on my subscription from *any* PC or laptop - not just ones with WLOC installed.

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:29 PM
  • I dont think you need to do this as long as you use up to three computers at the same time (concurrently). It may be a different story if you use a router, I dont know. I doubt so. You pay OneCare to look after up to three computers at the same time regardlessly which ones among your 8 stale computers.  I dont think Microsoft is counting your computers and you can update on all of your 8 computers with One Care regularly as long as you use a limit of three computers at same time. Just dont get greedy. I think any computer with measly 300 mhz spinning mousecages with 64 mb Ram  is not worth connecting to the Web except for playing old MS Dos games like Duke Nukem Plutonium, whoo!! Or Whiplash racing cars!! I wish they will come back with another Whiplash game up to snuff to todays speed. Man, I love Whiplash!  I missed playing it. So does Duke Nukem Plutonium, but not the Manhattan one which sucks ! I am eagerly waiting for the next Duke Nukem to come !

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:37 PM
  • I've run into this issue as well and don't believe that MS has a solution for this, as of yet.  I too wanted to know what systems were actively protected and to no avail, I wasn't able to find this data either.  Join the crowd.  Great question, though.  Perhaps Steve can shed some light on this.

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:56 PM
  • read the above posts...

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:58 PM
  • At this time, there is no management interface to remove inactive PCs from a subscription. Hence, the answer is that you can reinstall or add other computers at any time to an active subscription without worry about the inactive PCs. As long as you are only running OneCare on 3 computers, you are within the terms of the license.

However, you are posting to a thread about multi-PC management in the 2.0 beta, which has nothing to do with the current subscription model. When 2.0 is released, you will be able to manage your PCs from a "hub" computer. One of the things you can then do is remove a PC from a hub - when you choose this action, if the other PC is still up and running, OneCare will be changed to expired on that PC, which removes it from the subscription. You would then need to uninstall OneCare from that PC as it will no longer function properly.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 7:02 PM
  • Steve, Thank you.

Monday, August 27, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Ok I have 5 computers running off of Windows Home Server.

I don't care about this circle function as my printers and files are on Windows Home Server. I can not turn off the backup. I also keep getting an aleart that onecare can not connect to other computers in the circle.

I tried to reinstall but no help.

I like the security features of onecare but it just does not seem to fit with Windows Home Server way of doing things. There currently does not seem to be integration with Windows Home Server.

Any comments on how I could get this working with WHS and get rid of the warnings?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:45 PM
  • The current problem many are reporting about being unable to connect to other PCs in the circle and unable to change/save backup settings appears to be server side. Once that is resolved, you should be able to disable your backups.

-steve

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Sounds like this might a side effect of the recent issue with Windows XP/Vista Activation. Since these OneCare services would generally expire if your OneCare Subscription were to expire, it seems reasonable that they might also expire if the operating system were unable to be validated as genuine.

Probably all just a ripple effect from whatever caused the original Windows Activation issues.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:39 AM