none
Registering a DLL Using a WiX Installer RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to get a COM Application I built using Visual Studio 2015 C# language. I wish to get the application to be used in Excel VBA. Currently, my installer of choice is WiX, my C# code has classes and interfaces and upon building the program, I get the .tlb file which when I reference from Excel VBA, it works on the host computer while the .tlb lies in the debug directory of my project. 

When I install it to a different computer, and reference the .tlb file, I keep getting this error "Run time error '429': Active X component cannot create object".

I have extensively read articles on how to register the COM library file. When I use Regasm.exe, the file gets registered successfully. however I still get the same error. When I try using regsvr32.exe I get the error "The Module "___.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DLLRegisterServer was not found.

A quick snippet of my code looks like this below

namespace ECOM

{

[ComVisible(true), Guid("21573AA5-CF49-44D0-8B95-17Z9466CF812")]

[ProgId("ECOM.App")]

[ClassInterface(ClassInterfaceType.None)]

public class EAPI: Iapi

{      

public EAPI()

{}

private string name;

public string Name

{

get{ return name;}

set{ name = value;}

}

}

[ComVisible(true), Guid("A158C9F25-1DBD-4D2B-B8B7-0B87CB11EBD8")]

[InterfaceType(ComInterfaceType.InterfaceIsDual)]

public interface Iapi

{ 

string  Name {get; set; }

}

}

The WiX installer creates an MSI, which I believe registers my components, however when I search for the GUID in the regedit, I can't find them by that, they're registered under different GUIDs. I can add the .tlb file after installation, it's already listed in my references guide after running the Regasm.exe command. I can see the objects in my object browser. My VBA code looks like this below

Sub Expose ECOMObjects()

Dim eapi As ECOM.EAPI

Set eapi = new ECOM.EAPI()

End Sub

When my code reaches the Set eapi part. I get the error about it not being a set object. However, on my host machine, it all works fine. 

Assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Moved by CoolDadTx Thursday, June 1, 2017 6:27 PM Third party product
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:09 PM

All replies