WHS2011 does not utilize all space in 3TB disk RRS feed

• Question

• I placed a new 3TB drive into my EX485 and installed WHS2011 using a config file which specified a 60gb boot partition. I see the 60gb c: drive and a 2 TB D: drive but there is 700MB of unallocated space left on the drive. Why was that not allocated into D:?   Can I access that 700MB as an extension of a volume on another 3TB disk?  What other issues are there with 3TB drives and WHS2011?
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:14 PM

Answers

• Save yourself the headache- Your HP box doesn't have UEFI so it cannot boot to a GPT disk anyway.
    No way around it, at least none that I would trust with my data let alone boot disk.

You will have to use a 2TB disk for boot or accept that you lose ~700GB.

-timotl

• Marked as answer by HerrWayne Friday, April 8, 2011 10:05 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:52 PM

All replies

• To use a 3TB you should not use it as system drive. Also you need to format the 3TB outside WHS first. After that you can use it as data drive.
    But if I'm correct there are negative side effects related to back (max 2TB I think). Maybe some1 here knows more about this last one.
    I placed a new 3TB drive into my EX485 and installed WHS2011 using a config file which specified a 60gb boot partition. I see the 60gb c: drive and a 2 TB D: drive but there is 700MB of unallocated space left on the drive. Why was that not allocated into D:?   Can I access that 700MB as an extension of a volume on another 3TB disk?  What other issues are there with 3TB drives and WHS2011?

Have a nice day!
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Yes you wouldnt want to use it as the system disk. I would recomend you use it as a data drive and then format it in disk manager as GPT this will allow the OS to see all the disk.

Friday, April 8, 2011 5:54 PM
  •  

To use a 3TB you should not use it as system drive. Also you need to format the 3TB outside WHS first. After that you can use it as data drive.
    But if I'm correct there are negative side effects related to back (max 2TB I think). Maybe some1 here knows more about this last one.
    I placed a new 3TB drive into my EX485 and installed WHS2011 using a config file which specified a 60gb boot partition. I see the 60gb c: drive and a 2 TB D: drive but there is 700MB of unallocated space left on the drive. Why was that not allocated into D:?   Can I access that 700MB as an extension of a volume on another 3TB disk?  What other issues are there with 3TB drives and WHS2011?

Have a nice day!

Have a nice day!
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I placed a new 3TB drive into my EX485 and installed WHS2011 using a config file which specified a 60gb boot partition. I see the 60gb c: drive and a 2 TB D: drive but there is 700MB of unallocated space left on the drive. Why was that not allocated into D:?   Can I access that 700MB as an extension of a volume on another 3TB disk?  What other issues are there with 3TB drives and WHS2011?

Can you please let me know where is this config file that you used?
    Friday, April 8, 2011 6:02 PM
  • To use a 3TB you should not use it as system drive. Also you need to format the 3TB outside WHS first. After that you can use it as data drive.

Have a nice day!

If I am placing 4 3TB drives into my MediaServer one ends up as the system drive. Formatting the drive outside of WHS does not seem to be an option for a bare install. Is there a way to have the volume formatted as GPT within the cfg.ini file for automating the install?  

If I blow away the existing D: volume would I be able to create a new one with GPT to recover the 700MB of space?   I can move the existing shared folders over to another volume....

Friday, April 8, 2011 6:25 PM
  • > Formatting the drive outside of WHS does not seem to be an option for a bare install.
    Why not? Is this WHS the only machine you have?
    And as said, like it or not, you need at least one drive that is max 2TB for being the systemdrive.

To use a 3TB you should not use it as system drive. Also you need to format the 3TB outside WHS first. After that you can use it as data drive.

Have a nice day!

If I am placing 4 3TB drives into my MediaServer one ends up as the system drive. Formatting the drive outside of WHS does not seem to be an option for a bare install. Is there a way to have the volume formatted as GPT within the cfg.ini file for automating the install?  

If I blow away the existing D: volume would I be able to create a new one with GPT to recover the 700MB of space?   I can move the existing shared folders over to another volume....

Have a nice day!
    Friday, April 8, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Save yourself the headache- Your HP box doesn't have UEFI so it cannot boot to a GPT disk anyway.
    No way around it, at least none that I would trust with my data let alone boot disk.

You will have to use a 2TB disk for boot or accept that you lose ~700GB.

-timotl

• Marked as answer by HerrWayne Friday, April 8, 2011 10:05 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:52 PM