Remote Access Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After setting up WHS 2011, running the remote access wizard fails saying could not find port forwarding on the server and offered to retry which still gave same answer.

I set up port forwarding of ports 80;443 and 4125 on the server manually. I ran Shields Up as suggested by Phil and it showed both ports 80 and 443 were open.  

I can get into the server via server folders and dashboard from the launchpad but not remote access.

Now, if when I ran the wizard, if it had finished properly, is there anything it would have done to the system after setting up the ports forwarding? I mean, would it have set anything up in the windows firewall or something similar? 

Regards, 

David

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:16 PM

Answers

• You should be fine using manual Port forwarding - note that 4125 is not required for WHS2011 (it was for HHS1).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Hi David,

I can connect to your site from Belgium.

Luc. 

• Marked as answer by MysticMaster Sunday, November 22, 2015 7:33 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 2:49 PM
  • and me from the US!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, November 20, 2015 4:25 PM

All replies

• You should be fine using manual Port forwarding - note that 4125 is not required for WHS2011 (it was for HHS1).

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Thanks Phil,

Always wondered about 4125, will close it. As I never got the wizard to finish, I was wondering would MS set up exceptions in windows firewall to allow access to the server if the wizard had run to completion. I have the firewall turned on the router, could it be a firewall problem?

Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:26 PM
  • That shouldn't be the problem. The manual Port Forwarding is just modifying the router that could not be done by the wizard. The Windows end should be fine.

How are you testing remote access?

If you ping the xxx.homeserver.com domain from a remote location do you get a response from the same IP address as your Router external IP address? I am happy to try from here if you want. Note that you have to test from outside your network to ensure you don't get router loopback problems - I use my mobile phone with WiFi turned OFF if I am at home.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:29 PM
  • Thank you Phil,

I would appreciate it if you could check my server, the address is https://mozartsghost.homeserver.com. Hopefully you will see the log in screen. The next project is to set up a better screen using Wordpress on the server. 

Thank you for offering, it is much appreciated. I hope you can see the log in screen.

Regards,

David

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Hi David,

I can connect to your site from Belgium.

Luc. 

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:49 PM
  • and me from the US!

Friday, November 20, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Thank you Luc, all I need to do now is build a better webpage with Wordpress.
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 7:28 AM
  • Thank you Phil, just as an aside, if I wanted to access the computer after logging in, which computer would I need to install the Remote Desktop Service ActiveXClient ? 
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 7:33 AM
  • Sounds as though you are trying to connect with a browser that is not Microsoft Internet Explorer - try again using that.

Sunday, November 22, 2015 1:55 PM