Key Update tool installation - Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! Please help! I bought the Product Key for my Windows XP Professional SP2 from Microsoft website. I received the email with the key. I download the KeyUpdateTool but I'm not able to open the file. As it has Unkonwn Publisher, the security warning window tell that there is a problem with this file. And no way to validate my XP copy...
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 4:04 PM

Answers

• Shimasan,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage program forum. Please either return to the website as you have before and contact support or you can try Telephone Activation.
    Here is the information:

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you for contacting the WGA program forum.

Rick
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:23 PM

All replies

• Can you please tell me the specific error. If it has a run button, click Run. I think thats just a warning.
    • Proposed as answer by motherboardlove Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:45 PM
    • Edited by motherboardlove Monday, November 3, 2008 8:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Antron Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:56 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:45 PM
  • There is not a specific error (I mean a number). After click Run a window tell me that as the publisher is Unknown, the sistem cannot run the software... It also say that windows has a problem with this file!!! I disabled all the pc protection (antivirus, firewall, everything!)...
    Monday, November 3, 2008 3:29 PM
  • Have you tried re-downloading it?
    • Proposed as answer by motherboardlove Monday, November 3, 2008 8:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Antron Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:56 PM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 8:29 PM
  • yes... I tried maybe 10-15 times...
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:59 AM
  • First, hit Start, hit run.

type regedit, hit enter.

navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify. 

Change at least one digit of this value

Hit Start, hit run and
    type this:

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Hit activate by telphone, and then hit change product key.

By the way. I was thinking about the problem with the Product key update tool and it also left me puzzled.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Hello Shimasan,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. Error codes can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADT).  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the MGADT does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Antron-

• Marked as answer by Antron Monday, November 10, 2008 6:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Shimasan,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage program forum. Please either return to the website as you have before and contact support or you can try Telephone Activation.
    Here is the information:

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you for contacting the WGA program forum.

Rick
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:23 PM