Tranferring System Hard Drive to new PC RRS feed

  • Question

  • I just purchased a new Bare Bones Gigabyte system with a AMD x2 CPU.  I would like to move the System hard Drive from my old No Name System to the New System.  Can this be done? and if so, How?
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:28 PM


  • Hello ISS-JohnA,

    If the Windows installed on the hard disk drive is an OEM license, the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) says you are not permitted to move the Windows License to any other computer.  If the license is an OEM license, you can of course move the hard disk drive as long as you delete the Windows installation from it.

    If the Windows installed on the hard disk drive is a full retail license, the EULA does allow you to move the Windows License to the new system.

    To read the EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK or hit Enter.  In the resultant Window, click on the link for the End User Licensing Agreement.  In the OEM EULA see paragraph 1, in the retail EULA see paragraph (IIRC) 13 or 14.

    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:06 PM